Luwen Zhang, a second-year graduate student, helps junior Mengtong Feng prepare food before the Athens Chinese Cultural Center’s official opening. (Julia Moss | Staff Photographer)

Community welcomes Chinese Culture Center

The brightly colored Chinese garb worn by dancing children contrasted against the dingy, overcast sky Sunday as Athens welcomed the newest cultural hotspot in the 2nd Ward: the Athens Chinese Culture Center.

“The center is a dream for me that came true,” owner Shu-Qi “Sue” Chen said. “I’ve been looking for a place and I found one here and I think if (I) come here, maybe more people will want to learn Chinese.”

Chen, who has been teaching Chinese from her Athens home since 2001, stood beside State Representative Debbie Phillips (D-92), City Councilman Jeff Risner (D-2nd Ward), Athens City School Superintendent Carl Martin and Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl as she cut the ribbon to open the center, located at 476 Richland Ave.

Risner said he believes businesses such as Chen’s have potential to further develop the 2nd Ward culturally and economically.

“I really hope this thing succeeds and goes on forever and expands,” Risner said. “I always think people need manufacturing jobs, but there’s other ways of employment, like education and training.” 

Wiehl said the center is an example of the cultural diversity of Athens, something that typically does not come to mind when one thinks of the city.

“This is part of the richness of Athens,” Wiehl said. “If you think about it, Athens is a small city out in Appalachia and with the university and everything, we’re culturally rich, much richer than you’d think, and this adds to it. ”  

After the speeches and ribbon-cutting, Chen’s students took the stage to perform a series of Chinese songs for attendees, ending with a fan dance. Attendees were then invited in to mingle, learn about classes and eat traditional Chinese foods that Chen prepared.

Athens High School senior Peter Andrews, who has been studying with Chen for nine years and recently returned from a trip to China with her, said she builds strong bonds with her students.

“When you’re able to interact with someone from China or a Chinese-American, it shows that you have an interest in their culture,” Andrews said. “They see that and appreciate it and it creates better international relations and bonds.”

Andrews also currently studies Chinese at the 300-level at Ohio University, but he said he feels more immersed in Chen’s classes because of the “one-on-one attention.”

The center will offer classes ranging from children’s language education to Chinese cultural aspects such as Tai Chi and cooking. Chen said she aims to keep the language class sizes small in order to maintain a family atmosphere but hopes the program keeps growing.

eb104010@ohiou.edu