Lucero, from Memphis, Tenn., plays songs off their new album, “Women & Work”. The band played as part of the Mountain Stage performance which is scheduled to air on WOUB radio. (CONOR RALPH | For The Post)

Concert series to be broadcast at OU, nationally

Soft, intimate songs filled the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium Sunday night and will soon be shared with 129 stations nationwide, including WOUB.

The Mountain Stage concert series put on its 777th show hosted by Larry Groce, continuing its reputation for recording upcoming artists such as the those from this year’s performance — The Lost Brothers, Lucero, Doug Paisley, Sara Watkins and Rodney Crowell.

“We came here really to see Lucero,” said Ben Hammett, a 2010 OU alumnus. “I wanted them to play some of their older stuff, but what can you do?”

Many of the people who come to Mountain Stage events only come to see one group. However, Hammett said he was impressed by Sara Watkins and the Irish duo The Lost Brothers.

The Lost Brothers were carrying a suitcase around with them on their U.S. tour with the band’s name spray-painted on the side. Oisin Leech, singer and guitarist for The Lost Brothers, said they had always been huge Chuck Berry fans, so while in America they met Berry’s former accountant, who gave them that suitcase.

The five acts draw a lot of influence from classic artists, bringing much of the music back to an old, folky storytelling vibe.

“Whether you go to college here or you’re a typical public-radio listener, that sound is familiar to you,” Groce said. “It’s nice to have a turn back to the acoustic things I used to hear when I was younger.”

Rodney Crowell was the headlining act and maintained the acoustic feel while making the set intimate and personal.

Crowell told a story about walking around New York City in the winter with his kids when he saw someone less fortunate than himself walking in the cold without a coat. Crowell decided to offer his coat to the man, but the man refused.

“What you see before you is the result of choices I’ve made,” the man said.

Inspired by the man, Crowell based one of his songs on the scenario and played it for the audience Sunday.

The show, which will take about a month to edit, will be broadcast nationwide in November and will display the acoustic styles of the featured artists.

“I like every show, but this show had some acts that sound great on radio,” Groce said. “When you hear a great song and a great singer with just a guitar, that really is powerful.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu