New app helps keep students connected

Ohio University’s Campus Involvement Center is working to make students more active and better informed, but its outdated messaging methods have led the center to take a more digital approach.

So in the last few weeks, the center has become smartphone capable.

The center recently released an application, or app, for iPhones and Android smartphones that is updated daily with campus-wide events in an effort to inform more students about what is happening on campus.

“There’s something here on campus for every single person, but it’s just making sure that people realize that,” said Brian Heilmeier, coordinator for campus programs for the Campus Involvement Center. “However we can get our information out is what we try to do.”

The free app became available to those with Android smartphones on Sept. 20 and for iPhone users on Sept. 30.

With tabs correlating to different categories of events and the ability to search by the date of the event, Heilmeier said he hopes the app appeals to students who don’t typically look at the posters, flyers and other messaging methods the center uses.

The center started discussing creating an app last fall.

Though there is a university calendar online and a printed calendar made by the center that details university events, the app is more effective, Heilmeier added.

“The app allows us to update instantly … we can change things on the fly if we need to,” Heilmeier said.

As of Friday, there had been 50 downloads of the app on Android platforms with no numbers available for iPhones downloads, Heilmeier said.

Students can download the app by searching “OU Involvement” in their smartphone’s app store. 

“It’s a convenience,” said Zach George, president of Student Senate. “If I don’t have anything to do on Saturday or Sunday nights or whenever (the event is) being planned, I can simply go to the app and look it up.”

The app also provides a good alternative for students not interested in drinking to find something to do on the weekends, George said.

Heilmeier plans to promote the app across campus in the near future and encourage students to download the app at Bobcat Student Orientation this summer, though there is a demand for the app right now.

“I think it would be an easier way to figure out what’s going on (around) campus without having to go online or reading your emails,” said Jared Dudas, a freshman studying sports management. “You can just access it from your smartphone.”

Other students feel the same, but see a specific value in the app for freshmen.

“Some of the freshmen aren’t very well-connected,” said Noah Rosenblatt, a freshman studying business administration. “All we really see are the flyers throughout … various buildings. But we don’t talk to that many upperclassmen who … are well-connected, so it would be a good way to stay connected.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu