Ivo Baltic scans the court during the game against Portland at The Convo. Ohio defeated the Portland Pilots on Nov. 10 with a score of 81-52 and will play the University of North Carolina at Wilmington Friday. (Jason Chow | Staff Photographer)

Men's Basketball: 'Cats to use 'quickness' against Seahawks

University of North Carolina at Wilmington comes to The Convo on Friday in hopes of avenging its third-worst loss in program history: a 43-point defeat at the hands of Ohio’s Week Three opponent, Richmond, earlier in the week.

Ohio coach Jim Christian was tuned in to the game, scouting what the Seahawks had to offer and viewing their opponent in only that role — not as a team that will look to best the Bobcats only three games down the line.

Christian said it is important to convey a one-game-at-a-time mentality, as it is easy to become double-booked as the season ramps into full gear. Less than 48 hours after Ohio’s game against UNCW, it will take the court once again against Wofford.

In other words, it’s important for the Bobcats to keep their eyes on the prize, so to speak.

“We’re really only looking at Wilmington,” Christian said. “They played really well in their first game and didn’t play very well (Tuesday). It’s early basketball, so you expect those kinds of things.”

The Bobcats also await a heavy prominent interior presence, as half the Seahawks’ roster is listed as 6 feet 8 inches or taller.

They are led by senior forward Keith Rendleman — a four-year starter who averaged more than 15 points per game the past season — and sophomore forward Cedric Williams, who has contributed 9.5 per game to the scoring slate this season.

Ohio redshirt senior guard Walter Offutt said the best way to topple the Seahawks’ interior players is to force them to run the floor.

“(We) need to use their quickness to beat them up and down the floor and get layups, get angles and stuff like that,” he said. “That’s how you defeat the purpose of them being bigger (and) maybe stronger. You go around them and use our athletic ability.”

Junior Tanner Milson, who started the Seahawks’ final seven games  this past season, leads the backcourt unit, while sophomore Freddie Jackson facilitates the ball well despite contributing relatively little in the points column.

The Seahawks’ third most active guard, graduate student Tyree Graham, played for Texas Tech for a year before transferring to junior college and then to Rutgers, where he did not play in two seasons because of injuries.

The Bobcats won’t feel pressured to attempt to deter the Seahawks from funneling their offense through the post any more than usual, as Christian said they are more focused on limiting second-chance opportunities, on which the Seahawks thrive.

“When they shoot the ball, it’s keeping them off the glass and not giving them multiple possessions or opportunities right on top of the basket that can create foul trouble or easy points for them,” he said.

That considered, Ohio will look to combat its opponent’s big men by being more aggressive offensively and getting to the foul line early and often — both personal points of emphasis for senior forward Ivo Baltic, who said the big men’s approach is simple, but easier said than done.

“We have to play inside out more,” Baltic said.

jr992810@ohiou.edu