Options for birth control available to women depending on preference

Though gynecological appointments are wont to invite myriad questions, deconstructing the contraception conundrum to find suitable, inexpensive birth control might not be as complex.

Students who opt for an intrauterine device and are insured with United Health Care Student Insurance — the insurance offered through Ohio University — can purchase the IUD, a long-acting birth control method, at a reduced cost.

Krista Duval, a primary care physician at Campus Care, said it is covered 100 percent, though Tonya Burdette, director at Campus Care, said it costs $45 with the plan. The insurance company was unable to provide a definitive answer.

Although IUDs differ by brand, they can last five to 10 years without needing to be reinserted. ParaGard, an IUD brand, lasts 10 years without needing to be replaced, while Mirena, another brand, lasts five years.

“Most women in this age group are not looking to get pregnant in the next five years; most of them want highly effective birth control that stays in place, and they don’t have to remember to take it every day,” Duval said.

The one-time cost, whether $0 or $45, for the long-acting method can be a more appealing purchase than a monthly pill.

“(The IUD) is user-independent, which means that the person that wants contraception doesn’t need to remember a pill or remember to change a patch or come in for a shot,” said Jane Broecker, an OB-GYN who provides gynecological services at Campus Care about twice a month.

Duval has been inserting IUDs at Campus Care since the center first began offering the service in August 2011. Jane Balbo, a primary care physician at Campus Care, is also trained to insert IUDs at the center.

Without insurance, the IUD option is a loftier investment for college students. Mirena’s market price is $843.60, according to Bayer’s listing, Duval said, which does not include the insertion fee. ParaGard costs between $600 and $800.

Other methods of contraception for students not interested in the IUD include implants such as Implanon, which is inserted in a woman’s arm beneath the skin.

“The implant is perfect for someone who doesn’t want an IUD and doesn’t mind irregular bleeding and wants to make sure she doesn’t get pregnant,” Broecker said. “It’s easy to put in; it’s easy to take out.”

Without insurance, Implanon falls into the same price range as IUDs, between $600 and $800 — a hefty price tag for those lacking coverage.

Non-invasive birth control methods that can be purchased at a lower cost sans insurance include Sprintec, a daily, oral contraceptive that costs $9 a month without insurance at The DrugStore in O’Bleness Memorial Hospital, said Bre Rosser, a pharmacy technician at The DrugStore. Ben Holter, a pharmacist at The DrugStore, added that the pharmacy can price-match drugs purchased at other pharmacies, including birth control methods such as Sprintec.

However, if a student has an insurance plan with contraceptive coverage, Broecker said the IUD and implant are better options for busy college students. Once inserted, they work independently of the user, she said. The continuation rate for those using the implant or an IUD is much higher than those who opt for an oral contraceptive, she added.

“Drawbacks to the pill include that it is a daily method, and for many people, it is hard to remember a daily pill — to remember to take it and get it refilled,” Broecker said.

sg409809@ohiou.edu