Scholarships named as top priority by OU administrator

Editor’s note: This is the final in a three-part series looking at the present state of scholarships at Ohio University.

Two groups of suits and skirts batted questions back and forth Thursday as they discussed ways to bring students to OU — and keep them.

Trustees asked OU officials how they will grow and maintain scholarship funds; an area top administrators believe they are successfully developing.

“For the balance of this ‘Promise Lives’ campaign, we’ve identified scholarships as our No. 1 priority,” said Bryan Benchoff, vice president for University Advancement. “In my heart of hearts, scholarships are a priority to me.”

Benchoff said one of the pitches he uses when speaking with prospective donors is the importance of providing financial aid to defray costs for more students.

Under the current campaign, the fundraising goal for scholarships is $175 million, Benchoff said, adding he is not sure how close OU has come to accomplishing it.

“In some categories, we’re way ahead; in others, we’re way behind, and that’s not uncommon,” Benchoff said. “We do have a lot more scholarship fundraising to do to meet our goals.”

Craig Cornell, vice provost for Enrollment Management, leads a task force to evaluate and recommend changes to the Gateway Scholarship Program and will present a report at the spring board meeting.

“We continue to modify and change, but across the whole, we’re happy with where we are right now,” Cornell said. “You have to in the (economic) environment we’re in.”

Individual colleges are also working to overhaul and grow their scholarship funds to help students pay for the cost of an OU education.

“The (Scripps College of Communications) gives out approximately $200,000 in undergraduate scholarships each year,” said Robin Stock, senior director of development for the college. “In short, the college does have a very diverse and generous alumni base and is consequently able to offer a number of scholarship opportunities to its students.”

The Scripps College has a core group of both individuals and companies that aid in scholarship endowment and investment, although it’s not their only concern, Stock said.

“Supporting our students and making our programs accessible is a priority, but we also have to balance our fundraising activities on all of our needs,” Stock said.

Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit, who created the task force, said she sees the scholarships as a way to “leverage” students into attending OU.

“The deans, the development officers are always out there raising money for scholarships,” Benoit said. “They’ve always been very important. We’ve been trying really hard to support students.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu