Greek life to enforce 2.5 GPA standard

Ohio University’s current housing policy requires students to live in residence halls before completing four semesters, but there are exceptions to this rule — one of which is becoming stricter.

Sophomores involved in greek life can be approved to move out of the dorms and into their fraternity or sorority houses a year earlier than the policy mandates, but beginning Fall Semester of the 2013-2014 academic year, students will need a 2.5 GPA to be approved for off-campus housing.

“The (GPA) requirement ensures that students are in a good academic footing before they move off campus,” said Brian Heilmeier, interim assistant director for Greek Life.

The university housing policy aims to give underclassmen a better academic setting for studying, and greek housing aims to do the same, Heilmeier said.

Academic success is expected of those involved in greek life and the university requires that each chapter implement an Academic Requirement Policy, according to OU’s Campus Involvement Center’s greek life website.

The 2.5 GPA requirement for sophomores to live in greek housing is in line with the universitywide GPA requirement to join greek organizations.

The Greek Community Council voted to raise the overall GPA from 2.4 to 2.5 two years ago. Next semester, a stricter enforcement of the requirement will be implemented for those requesting to live off campus, said Charlene Kopchick, assistant dean of students for Campus Involvement.

“The standard encourages individuals who want to move off campus to keep up their grades,” Kopchick said.

There is a concern about filling the houses each year, but everyone has been understanding of the higher academic standards, Heilmeier said.

“Nothing really (changes) for next year,” he added. “It is just (going to be) more enforced now.”

Currently, 400 students live in greek housing, including sophomore Kat Cook, a member of Pi Beta Phi Fraternity for Women. Cook said she often studies in the house and spends nights in the study room or on the first floor.

“Our first floor is very quiet at night,” Cook said.

Participation in greek life is not the only way underclassmen can be excused from living in residence halls. Students who have financial difficulties or medical and dietary restrictions or live with a parent or guardian within 50 miles of campus are also eligible for exemption.

oh271711@ohiou.edu