(via Sarah Paradis)

Faculty recital to feature trombone pieces

Two variations of the trombone, along with piano can be seen performing a repertoire of music spanning the baroque era to modern compositions Thursday night in the Glidden Recital Hall.

Sarah Paradis, visiting assistant professor of trombone, and Sean McGhee, a bass trombone player who hails from Cincinnati, are collaborating for the recital, something they have been doing since attending school together at Indiana University Bloomington, when Paradis was pursuing her masters’ degree and McGhee was completing his undergraduate work at the same time.

“We’ve kind of been playing each other’s recitals,” said McGhee. “This is the first recital that … the bulk of it is together. … We like to play together. It is more fun to play with a friend.”

Paradis and McGhee are performing with two different kinds of trombones. Paradis will use a more traditional tenor trombone, while McGhee will use his bass trombone, an instrument that he performs with in different symphonies across the state, he said.

“The bass trombone is a tenor trombone with a little extra stuff on it,” Paradis explained. “It sounds rounder, and it sounds fuller. It just sounds deeper. (It is) the difference between a tenor voice and a baritone voice.”

A piece called “Florida Concerto for Tenor and Bass Trombone and Wind Orchestra” by Frigyes Hidas, is the “flagship piece for the concert.”

The 20-minute double concerto, is a fun piece to perform because of its “idiomatic licks” that work well for trombone, Paradis said.

The recital will feature more traditional pieces, like “Ballade for Trombone and Piano,” a solo that Paradis will play with pianist and fellow staff member Youmee Kim, and more modern pieces like “Quiet Mountain, Opus 37,” by Neal Corwell, which will have a backing tape underneath the trombone duo.

McGhee said the mix of styles makes the performance more engaging for both the audience and for himself.

“For recitals like this, you want to go out there, play some incredible music and share it with others,” McGhee said. “These recitals are our chance to really show what we are passionate about.”

IF YOU GO

What: Visiting Artists and Faculty Recital: Sean McGhee and Sarah Paradis

Where: Glidden School of Music Recital Hall

When: 7:30 p.m. Thursday

Admission: Free

ds834910@ohiou.edu