Jake Gets Jacked: Heeding body prevents pain

As somebody whose physique has resembled Stick Stickly for most of my life, I’ve tried to stay mindful throughout my workout experience not to let my newfound bulk affect my ego.

Spending all of this past weekend nearly hunched over with a throbbing lower back was a wake-up call that this is sometimes more easily said than done.

This past Friday’s CrossFit session revolved around the deadlift, a simple powerlifting exercise in which a weighted barbell is lifted off the ground. It’s one of the most fundamental and useful workouts for anyone looking to build lower body strength, because it works many of the muscles found in the back, hips and legs.

The most important thing to keep in mind with this exercise is that the lift be done with a controlled, smooth motion and that the spine stays straight throughout, as this ensures that the lower back muscles aren’t bearing the brunt of the strain.

Evident by the trail of tears I left from my bed to the bathroom Saturday morning, I didn’t heed these instructions well. I suffered my first workout-related injury, and my limited mobility hampered my first Ohio University fest experience — though, to be fair, there isn’t much movement required in becoming intoxicated in a stranger’s front yard.

In the interest of saving my meat-headed readers a trip to Campus Care, here are some tips to keep in mind.

One of the biggest mistakes I made in my workout was not listening to my body. In the heat of the moment and in my race against the clock to do as many lifts as I could before time ran out, I neglected any early warning signs that may have hinted at my injury to come.

When you’re a beginner at working out and tackling new exercises, such as I was with the deadlift, it’s also better to slow down and make sure that you’re maintaining proper form throughout the lift before attempting to set a new rep count record.

Lastly, it might be best to follow Rule 18 of surviving the zombie apocalypse, as defined in Zombieland, and limber up.

While some recent studies suggest that stretching might not have much of an effect on injury rates, lightly strenuous movement before starting a session should allow for a smoother transition from the bus to the bench (press).

Needless to say, taking care of your body is the most important aspect of building it. And if that PSA doesn’t deter you from recklessness, also keep in mind that no amount of Shively Dining Court ice cream — no, not even the Super Friends flavor — is going to make that herniated disk in your back feel any better.

Jake is a junior studying journalism and a stringer for The Post. Offer him workout tips at jd202409@ohiou.edu.