The Great Debate

Experience vs. action. Programming vs. advocacy.  Insider vs. outsider. Nick vs. Matt.

The lines defining each Student Senate election platform were etched deeper Monday evening when the two Ohio University Senate presidential hopefuls debated about how they would change the purpose of a body FUSS’s candidate called “approaching irrelevancy.”

Nick Southall, a junior and VOICE’s presidential candidate, verbally sparred in front of roughly 60 students in Baker University Center with Matt Farmer, a junior and FUSS’ presidential candidate, over the role Senate’s president should have in the everyday lives of students.

While both stressed their role advocating for students, Farmer placed more of an emphasis on topics such as tuition increases and student power if elected.

“Student Senate does a great job of programming, but they’re not doing a great job of advocacy,” said Farmer, current president of the Residents’ Action Council. “In terms of challenging the admin, that’s not really happening.”

FUSS — Fighting to Uphold Student Solidarity — opposes guaranteed tuition. He said if he were elected, he would oppose a change to the tuition model at the next OU Board of Trustees meeting April 19. This would be the first in a series of moves to give students more control over university decisions — a necessity, he said, since they fund the majority of the university’s budget through tuition, fees, and room and board payments.

“We need to start going down the path of shared governance at the university,” Farmer said, adding he has the institutional experience in RAC and experience protesting in the streets to lead students.

His opponent, backed by about 20 students wearing VOICE T-shirts, argued his experience within Senate and relationships he has formed with the administration will allow him to achieve real change.

“We’re elected by the students … We’re not elected by the students to be friends with the administration,” Southall said. “Where (Farmer) lacks and where I make up ground is the Student Senate experience. I have a lot of fresh ideas that Student Senate has never tried.”

Though both debaters agreed on multiple policy points, including supporting student trustee voting rights and increasing sustainability, neither believes in the other’s ability to change the campus next year.

“My presidency will be remembered as the year all students were brought to the table,” Southall said.

Farmer balked at the comment, saying the idea of reaching out to student organizations is recycled every year.

“My presidency is going to be remembered for challenging the administration,” Farmer said. “I can’t remember the last time we elected someone outside the establishment.”

The executives debate will be on Monday, April 8 at 6 p.m. in the Bobcat Student Lounge in Baker University Center.

dd19571@ohiou.edu