Provided

Stuart's Opera House after-school program lets kids learn, rock out

Although it is primarily known for bringing much-loved artists to the Nelsonville area, Stuart’s Opera House will be expanding its education outreach this fall with an after-school music education program that is currently in the works.

Through funding obtained from the Children’s Educational Program as well as other sources, students ages 14 through 18 can sign up to learn the instruments that make up a four-piece band from professionals with experience in the field.

Leah Nairn, educational coordinator for Stuart’s, said when she went to Nelsonville-York High School to recruit students for the program, some were apprehensive at first.

“(We invited up) kids that had never played an instrument in their lives to see what it was like,” she said. “They thought it was cool; they got a kick out of it.”

The program is currently open to all students in the area, although Stuart’s targeted Nelsonville-York first. Nairn said the class size would be capped at 20.

Practice will take place at the opera house, with students gaining experience on bass, guitar, keyboards, vocals and drums. The groups are currently accepting instrument donations.

“We think this is a unique opportunity for area students to be involved with the arts in a direct and personal level,” said Tim Peacock, executive director of Stuart’s Opera House, in an email. “I think all of us here at Stuart’s would have loved a program like this when we were young.”

Nairn said the qualification for teachers of the program is that they have experience in bands, not necessarily formal training. Aaron Butler, who primarily performs on percussion and drums, has both.

“I know when I started all I wanted to do was crank the distortion and have fun,” Butler said, in an email. “I want them to rock out and have fun but in an intelligent way that is safe and will give them a foundation of good musical habits to build from if they decide to pursue music at a more ‘serious’ level later on.”

After the teenagers learn the basics, the eventual goal for the class is for students to write their own music, perform it and form an active student band.

The program is slated to start Sept. 24, and students will attend one to two times a week.  While there, they will receive homework help if needed, along with a nutritious snack.

“This program gives opportunities to young people who come from a lower socioeconomic class to pursue their passion for the arts, as well as teach them to be self-confident, esteemed individuals who are aware of their own unique gifts and personal integrity,” said Brian Koscho, marketing director for the opera house, in an email.  

eb104010@ohiou.edu

@EmilyMBamforth