LGBT Center plans vigil to honor transgender victims of violence and hate crimes

Editor’s note: Delfin Bautista and Ryan Vollrath both identify with “they/their” as a pronoun.

At least 71 people identifying as transgender have been killed in a hate crime since Nov. 20, 2012, according to transgenderdor.org.

At Ohio University, students from the LGBT Center will hold a vigil to remember those dead or affected by violence as part of Transgender Day of Remembrance on Wednesday.

This is the third year that ALLY, a student group that advocates for LGBT rights and other minorities has organized the vigil, said Ryan Vollrath, president of the organization.

Vollrath organized the first vigil their sophomore year while working with the LGBT Center.

During the event, attendees will light candles to honor victims who were targets of violence because they identified as transgender, Vollrath said. During the vigil, presenters will read poetry and show off other art.

“It’s a very somber event,” said Vollrath, a senior studying history and psychology.

“I think it’s very grounding because I think sometimes in Athens itself it is easy to feel safe.”

Because of the Transgender Day of Remembrance, Delfin Bautista, director of the LGBT Center said they wanted to hold other events as part of Transgender Empowerment Week.

Bautista said they brought in transgender performance artist, writer and educator Rebecca Kling to hold workshops, perform  and help educate whoever was interested on Monday and Tuesday.

Bautista said that even though the week was designed to be empowering to those in the transgender community, it is important to be sensitive to those who identify as transgender or questioning of their own gender at any given time.

“It is my intention and the goal of the center that this is not the only time we talk about these things,” Bautista said.  “We might put a special focus and put a little more ‘umph’ on this week, but it will not be the only time we talk about trans individuals and their experiences.”

The vigil and events with Kling are a way for the LGBT community and people hoping to be allies to understand those who might be different from themselves, said Bre Lewis, a junior studying creative writing and women and gender studies and a third-year member of ALLY.

“Seeking out information and asking questions in a safe and polite manner (is important),” Lewis said. “(It’s) always trying to keep in mind that not everyone falls under the traditional umbrella.”

ds834910@ohiou.edu

@drussell23

This story appeared in print under the headline "LGBT Center plans vigil to remember transgender victims of hate crimes"