Local musicians to honor punk legend Lou Reed

The underground hero of New York has passed, and now those inspired by his dirty-stripped-down music will pay tribute.

Rolling Stonereported Sunday that Lou Reed, famed frontman of The Velvet Underground and influential solo artist, died at the age of 71. The Union Bar & Grill, 18 W. Union St., will host a tribute concert to Reed Saturday.

Reed was the writer of songs such as “Walk on the Wild Side,” “Satellite of Love,” “Sweet Jane” and “Heroin,” and was credited with influencing the sound of punk that evolved in the late ’70s.

Scott Winland, booking manager for the Union, said Reed is his favorite American songwriter, so it made sense for him to reach out to Athens musicians to come and perform Reed’s music.

“He’s one of those artists that really made me want to write songs and play in a band,” Winland said. “I’ve played in a bunch of different bands, and I think every one of them has played at least a handful of Velvet Underground or Lou Reed covers at some point.”

Winland said he “went crazy” for Reed’s music at the age of 15 or 16, and ever since then Reed has left a strong impression on him.

“I had tickets to see him when I was 17, but was "grounded" for staying out late the night before, (because) Elvis Costello was playing at MemAud on my birthday,” Winland said.

Winland said a number of solo and group acts have gathered for this tribute including members of local bands such as Fathers of the Revolution, Weird Science, Dropdead Sons and County Pharaohs according to the event’s Facebook page.

“…When Rolling Stone started to cover it especially is when I knew it was true,” said Richard Grippa a former Ohio University student and long time fan of Reed’s who is planning on attending the show.“(I’m) just really bummed as well that there are tons of like-minded folk torn up over it and then there are kids that have no idea who this guy is.”

For Grippa, Reed was a progressive artist who wrote songs that depicted life as it really was.

“I’ve always seen him as a less cryptic (Bob) Dylan,” Grippa said. “(With) Dylan’s ‘Mr. Tambourine Man’ we can assume it’s about buying drugs, but ‘Waiting for the Man’ (there is) no doubt he's buying drugs.”

@drussell23

ds834910@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What: Lou Reed Tribute Show

When: Doors open at 9 p.m., 10 p.m. Saturday

Where: The Union Bar & Grill, 18 W. Union St.

Admission: Free