Mary Ann Borch and Steve Graham socialize after Sunday worship at the Athens Friends Meeting House in Chauncey, Ohio. Nov. 24 marked 20 years since the Religious Society of Friends, also known as Quakers, purchased the meeting house. (Katie Klann | For The Post)

Quakers celebrate second decade in meeting house

Correction: A prior version of this article stated the meeting house was 11 miles away from Athens. The location is 6 miles away, in Chauncey, OH.

Walking into the mid-size wooden building across from the Chauncey Elementary School, the smell of baked goods is overwhelming.

People surround a table filled with food creating a hubbub of noise, as people greet each other with open embraces and children weave in and out at knee height through groups that are chatting and catching up. A slideshow is projected, highlighting meetings such as these throughout the years.

For 20 years this has been the scene, ever since the Athens branch of the Religious Society of Friends, otherwise known as Quakers, moved its weekly meetings out of Athens. Sunday morning was a celebration of the anniversary of the 1993 transition from a previous space at United Campus Ministries to 22 Birge Drive in Chauncey.

As of 2007, there were about 87,000 adult members of Quaker meetings in the United States according to the Friends General Conference. There are about 35 regular attendees at the Athens meeting each week, with people coming in and out.

Trisha Lachman, former clerk for the Athens Friends Meeting and Athens Township resident, explained that the Quaker tradition formed in the mid-1500s and has its base in Christianity.

The clerk plays the role of moderator for worship and business meetings and rotates throughout members for a two-year term. A general sense of consensus is sought when making decisions for the group.

Lachman said the belief of the Religious Society of Friends is that each human is one of God’s children and has an “inner light.” On top of this, the faith contains testimonies, which include fundamental ideas. This includes a strong pacifist stance and a drive for equality, historically between races and sexes, but also currently in regards to sexuality.

“We’ve always been known for these kinds of things and continue to have a strong sense of justice,” Lachman said. “Current days, in addition to anti-war work we’ve done a lot of things to bring about a better planet.”

The religious group practices “unprogrammed” worship, which means instead of having a service led by a pastor or with specific segments, worship focuses on unplanned silent spiritual reflection. About 11 percent of membership worldwide is part of this tradition, according to the Quakers World Relations Committee.

If a person feels a “leading” during the hour period of silent worship, he or she can speak to the group about the message they feel they are receiving.

Priya Rajan, an Athens resident for five and a half years, read about the gathering and decided to attend based on the style of worship.

“It also happens to be the one-year anniversary of my mother’s passing,” she said. “I just felt that it was coincidental that I would get a place of meditation and quiet-time (to) think about her.”  

Although Quaker beliefs stemmed from Christianity, an emphasis is placed on connecting with other faiths. Even within the meetings, there is no one spiritual path that each member takes.

“The real meaning of all of it is encapsulating in the word ‘love,’ ” Lachman said. “It’s really about loving God and loving one another.”

Pat Poole, who identifies as agnostic, has been involved in the meetings for 18 years. However, she’s been removed from the area for a decade and made the round-trip to Athens on Sunday.

“I’ve been gone 10 years, but I slid right back into where I was,” she said. “It’s so easy to be here and not be judged.”

Lachman said the group has a spiritual base, but each member’s path can be a way of expressing that.

“Some people just come for the community,” she said. “But (we think) that’s a form of expressing God’s light.”

The meetings take place approximately 6 miles away from the city of Athens. Lachman said those who lack transportation but are interested in visiting should call the meeting house.

eb104010@ohiou.edu

@EmilyMBamforth