The fluist of tihs was Greg Seymous, perfomances / or

PROJECT Trio displays unique sound for "On the Edge" series

Finals week is approaching, but the Campus Involvement Center gave students one more chance to get their music fix.

PROJECT Trio played in Baker University Center Theater on Wednesday, taking the audience through a journey of genres and twists with their instruments.

PROJECT Trio—comprised of bassist Peter Seymour, beat-boxing flutist Greg Pattillo and cellist Eric Stephenson—came to Ohio University as the second artist in the “On the Edge” series.

“I think we do something that is completely unique,” Seymour said. “…We play in so many styles of music and I really like sharing with the audience a journey through the different genres of music. And I think it also gives them an interesting perspective on what the instrument is capable of.”

The smaller space of Baker Theater gave PROJECT Trio a chance to play acoustically, which Michael Sisson, an audience member for all three of the group’s concerts, a Spanish assistant professor and a bassist himself, said he appreciated.

“What was wonderful (in Baker Theater) was that there were no mics and it was just acoustic, just the pure raw sound of the instruments, without anything between my ears and that,” Sisson said.

Seymour said PROJECT Trio also likes to play in these smaller spaces.

“There was some really good energy in the room,” Seymour said. “We love it when we can play in a small place like that and really just play acoustic and the audience was really into it, so we had a really great time.”

With their eclectic sound and take to playing instruments, Jacob Forni, a senior studying digital media, said he enjoyed the concert.

“I really liked it mainly because it’s just different,” Forni said. “I’ve never seen anyone beatbox with a flute before, that was really, really entertaining.”

Kayla Habig, a senior studying managing information systems, said she liked the energy of the musicians.

“I liked that they feel like regular guys, but they’re not regular, they are very extraordinary, I think,” Habig said.

Andrew Holzaepfel, associate director of the Campus Involvement Center, said along with the performance tonight and the trio’s residency spent with children throughout the community, he thinks the group’s trip to OU was a success.

“I think we were probably at about 200 people (in attendance) which was great,” Holzaepfel said. “That’s about where the first (concert) was at, so this is a great place to build off of … Somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 or 13 hundred kids that are going to have the chance to interact with (PROJECT Trio), it’s been a good week.”           

rb605712@ohiou.edu

@reb_barnes