Gamer Girl: Player must solve mystery in creepy, catchy new game

As a self-proclaimed bookworm, I prefer my video games to be a little bit similar — thick with plot, characterization and even a little mystery.

Much to my excitement, I have successfully found the most unique video game that plays like an interactive story: Gone Home.

Gone Home is the debut PC and Mac game from The Fullbright Company, which has founders that previously worked together on titles like BioShock 2. Gone Home was given a 10 out of 10 review ranking from gaming website Polygon, among others, and was given Polygon’s Game of the Year 2013 award. I’d have to agree.

To put it simply, I was blown away by Gone Home, from the premise to the characters to the storyline.

You play the game as character Kaitlin Greenbriar, who is returning home after a year abroad. The game hints that Kaitlin is about 20 years old, which made it even easier for me to step into the role.

The premise of the game is simple — when you return home, no one is there. You must search the house for hints as to where your parents and younger sister, Sam, are. It sounds simplistic and boring, but by searching the house you unravel a complex tale of the Greenbriar family.

A great deal of this plot revolves around Sam, who seems to have run away for reasons that you piece together as you search the house. While delving into the many rooms, you begin to hear Sam narrate letters to you, explaining what has happened on your year away.

The storyline is really what makes the game. It’s reminiscent of games like BioShock, in which everything seems to be interactive, and Heavy Rain, one of my favorite PlayStation titles that plays like an interactive movie.

There isn’t much skill to this game. You simply navigate the home, pick up objects and search through the house of your family. It feels invasive, but gives a similar feeling of returning home from college after a long time away.

The house in Gone Home is dark and creepy. The whole game I felt myself slowly peeking around corners, feeling like a zombie could pop its head out at any moment. In each room you must search for a light switch, lamp or pull in order to illuminate the room and actually be able to search.

This game is incredibly short — you can easily play it in a two-hour sitting. I would advise you to play it right through in order to really get into it. It also helps to turn off the lights and put in some headphones (there are no zombies, I promise).

I found Gone Home in the Apple App store for only $20, but it is also available on Steam, a gaming service for your computer where you can purchase and play games. If you have a few extra bucks burning a hole in your pocket, there’s no game I would recommend more at the moment. Although it’s a quick one, you’ll be left with the plot in your mind long after you close the laptop.

Sophie Kruse is a sophomore studying journalism. Played any cool games recently? Email her your recommendations at

sk139011@ohiou.edu.