via GARRETT HOOD

Theater students pioneer new show with 'no budget'

With only three actors, two chairs and a coffin block — an acting tool used to simulate a multitude of props — an entire production will be put on spearheaded by students.

In Response to Adulthood, an original play by Dan Baker, follows Emily, a woman who doesn’t have many real friends, as she travels cross-country with a man she just met. The play is the first and only lab show of Spring Semester.

A lab show is a production outside of the Division of Theater’s curriculum and monetary support. They are considered extra shows that go through a formal application process before a committee selects the show.

“We’re doing this with literally no budget,” said Baker, a senior studying theater production design. “It’s limiting in that we can’t do everything we want but it’s freeing in that we have an environment set up that goes well with the tone of the play.”

The tone is one of imagination and fantasy, so Baker said the low budget isn’t an issue. He said the lack of equipment actually helps make the audience imagine, especially when one actor will play 13 roles.

The unconventional aspect is also felt behind-the-scenes. Garrett Hood, the sound designer for the show, said lab shows call for a very different process than main stage shows. Hood designed Swimming In The Shallows in the fall and had spent about a year gathering and writing music for it. A decrease in time is coupled with a smaller amount of help.

“It’s just me,” said Hood, a junior studying production design and technology. “I’m installing the sound system, setting up speakers, testing levels. … On main stage shows, I have access to students enrolled in the practicum …  maybe four to six people. … It makes a drastic difference.”

Despite the difficulties, Hood continues to work on these shows, of which this is his third, saying the challenges can be fun and educational.

“(Because there’s no budget) you, a lot of times, have to come up with makeshift solutions,” Hood said. “I have more control because with main stages, there’s more faculty involvement and a concern to fill the seats, whereas with lab shows, you can be more experimental.”

Marianne Murray, a sophomore studying theater performance, said the most important aspect of lab shows is doing theater for the sake of doing theater.

“This is art in its most potent form,” said Murray, who plays Emily. “This is what we’ll be going out in the world to do. You don’t just sit around and wait for work to come to you. You have to create it yourself. Lab shows encourage everyone to create and to collaborate.”

IF YOU GO:

What: In Response to Adulthood by Dan Baker

Where: Putnam Hall 227

When: 8 p.m., Friday and Saturday; 2 p.m., Saturday

Admission: Free

@buzzlightmeryl

mg986611@ohiou.edu