Senior Ashley Cureton's grandfather broke numerous racial barriers playing football in UCLA during the 50's. (KATIE KLANN | PHOTO EDITOR)

Field Hockey: Like grandfather, like granddaughter

Ashley Cureton has quite the torch to carry. 

From 1953 to 1955, her grandfather, Hardiman Cureton, led UCLA to a National Championship and two Rose Bowl appearances and broke numerous racial boundaries, as he became the first black captain on the university’s football team.

Living in an era filled with prejudice and segregation, Hardiman valued tradition and family growing up. He was raised in poverty and was subjected to racial inequalities during his time at UCLA, his son Karl Cureton said.

During his freshman year of college, Hardiman received a car, which was uncommon at the time because few African-Americans had their own means of transportation. He would then go back to the city where he was raised, Duarte, California, and offer rides for community members to various places.

“When my brother, who looks like my father, went to this picnic, this older lady came up to him in tears,” Karl said. “And she talked to him about how when she was a kid, my dad came and drove (into Duarte), which was a big deal.”

Hardiman went on to play in the Canadian Football League for eight years and sustained a life filled with football cards and All-Star nominations before moving on to a profession as a senior melter in the North American Steel industry. He was considered a “gentle giant” by relatives, as he interacted with wit and humor.

“When (Hardiman) died, we got this letter from an older man,” Ashley's mother, Bonnie said. “He was saying how much he wanted to reach out and thank Hardi. He said (Hardiman) probably doesn’t even remember him, but he took a wrestling class at UCLA and Hardi would wrestle with him. The man said Hardi would always make him feel good and sometimes he would let him win. He would never forget that.”

Oct. 1, 2003, Hardiman died in Richmond, Virginia, at the age of 69. He left behind a legacy difficult to match — even for Ashley, now a senior, on the Bobcats field hockey team. 

“What I’m amazed with about Ashley is not only the speed — which is passed down genetically — but her intentions,” said Ashley’s father, Karl. “I think that for me, the notion of heritage and family background and the possibility were definitely there for Ashley. It wasn’t there based on pressure, it was there based on opportunity.”

Similar to her grandfather, Ashley has used her intelligence to define her. She has been named to multiple academic teams during her time as an Ohio student-athlete, including the National Field Hockey Coaches Association All-Academic Squad twice after being a NFHCA scholar athlete in 2011. 

Along with her work in the classroom, Ashley has been a cog for Ohio’s offense, having scored five goals while shooting 84 percent in 47 career games. 

“(Ashley) is such a hard worker,” coach Neil Macmillan said. “She’s very dedicated to everything she does. I’ve seen her develop so much in her four years here. She’s quite tough on herself and she has really filled in her role this year  —  she’s a great person.” 

Growing up, Ashley was close to her grandfather, who lived one and a half miles away from her family in Richmond. 

Ashley started playing field hockey in the 10th grade, which is considered late according to both of her parents. Similar to her grandfather, she implemented the idea that race means little on the field.

“My father truly used sports to emancipate himself out of his situation,” Karl said. “And I know Ashley did Division I field hockey for one of the reasons: to really protect herself, relatively, to be able to afford college, being able to be in college and being able to be independent while doing it. I just really see that parallel of strength and courage and intensity, yet foresight.” 

Bonnie said Ashley has drawn inspiration and confidence from their close relationship and that it has been intertwined from their dedication and passion for athletics.

Although Hardiman died more than a decade ago, the history and ideologies he passed down has driven Ashley to who she is today.

“I know if he was still alive today I would want to make him proud and carry on the legacy of playing in college,” Ashley said. “He did great things. I’m very proud of my heritage and there’s not much pressure, but a lot of pride.”

@LUKEOROARK

LR514812@ohio.edu