Freshman A.J. Ouellette runs towards the endzone to score a touchdown against Eastern Illinois University.

Football: 'Cats to force turnovers

During his news conference Monday, Frank Solich said Ohio will need to force more fumbles if it wants to be successful in MAC play.

With one Mid-American Conference victory already under the Bobcats’ belt, coach Frank Solich said Ohio is lucky to be where it is during his news conference Monday.

Despite winning at Kent State in the season opener and each of the past two weeks against Idaho and Eastern Illinois, the Bobcats’ average turnover margin is tied for 110th out of 125 Football Subdivision Schools with a differential of negative-six turnovers. Ohio’s fumbled the ball seven times and has yet to force one.

Losing the ball 10 times in five games isn’t sitting well with Solich and his fellow coaches, because they know they won’t fare well in MAC play if turnover woes continue. Although quarterback JD Sprague threw a pair of interceptions on Saturday, the emphasis is on the defense to force more turnovers. 

“I don’t know what we can do, other than what we have been doing,” Solich said. “We haven’t made backs fumble. We haven’t made anybody fumble that’s had the ball. That’s tough.”

Eastern Michigan (1-3) is the only MAC school with a worse turnover margin average than Ohio, as the Eagles have fumbled more than every other FBS school. The two teams will not meet this season, though.

“We’re very fortunate to be 3-2,” Solich said. “We’ve got to get that (turnover margin) changed as we get into the MAC schedule. If we don’t get that changed, it will come back to haunt us.”

MAC Outlook

Although the Bobcats will enter the heart of their conference campaign against a MAC West team, Solich said he’s been paying attention to other MAC East schools. Bowling Green, Buffalo and Ohio each won their conference openers, and he’s expecting a division that could be more competitive than years past.

While Miami has lost its past 21 games — dating back to its 2012 game against then-No. 25 Ohio — and Massachusetts is also winless this season, both have improved and have been competitive in their losing efforts. 

“The East, I think, is really competitive and it’s going to be interesting to see how it unfolds,” Solich said. “You’re going to have to line up and play every week to have a shot. It’ll be a tough deal to come out on top for anybody; it’s not going to be easy.”

The increased talent in the MAC East places more emphasis on this weekend’s game in Point Pleasant, Michigan, where Ohio hopes to avenge last season’s Homecoming loss after the Chippewas won during the game’s final drive. Solich has only defeated Central Michigan once during his tenure at Ohio.

“(Last year) was a loss that was a little tough to take,” Solich said. “This game should be a similar game. They’ve always been physical football games.”

Redshirt Juniors 

Update

— Cornerback Ian Wells left Saturday’s game with an unspecified injury and was ruled out for the second half, but Solich said he “should be fine” for Central Michigan.

— Mike McQueen, an offensive lineman, was suspended Saturday for violating the team’s policy, but Solich said he also will return to play left tackle and left guard this weekend.

— Quarterback Derrius Vick will be out again against the Chippewas and remains at a week-to-week basis with a knee injury. 

“We won’t really announce much on him,” Solich said. “He is coming along.”

@chadlindskog

cl027410@ohio.edu