Seun Kuti

Son of legendary African performer to play at Stuart’s Opera House

Seun Kuti is taking over after his father as the champion of Afrobeat, a genre that mixes jazz, funk and African rhythms

Gaining a name for one’s self can be a difficult task for any artist, and Seun Kuti needs to go one step further.

The Nigerian musician is the son of legendary performer Fela Kuti, who originated Afrobeat, a genre that mixes jazz, funk and African rhythms. Though his music is renowned, it was Fela’s instrumentation paired with his moving lyrics that gained him his fame.

“He was critical of governments and critical of people when he needed to be,” said Michael Ofori, a student in the Interdisciplinary Arts Ph.D. program. “He kept society critical of itself on both sides of the table.”

Fela has not only impacted African culture, Ofori said, but he is also an international figure because of his influence on social and political movements worldwide. His popularity specifically hit home in America with the successful run of the 2010 Tony Award nominated musical Fela!, which depicted Fela’s life and activism.

“It’s more than just music; it’s a movement,” Ofori said.

Carrying on the tradition and movement that began with his father, Seun will take to the Stuart’s Opera House, 52 Public Square, Nelsonville, stage Thursday night with his father’s band Egypt 80.

“His records have taken on a life of their own,” said Brian Koscho, marketing director for Stuart’s Opera House. “His dad was a huge act to follow and he’s finding his own way to do so.”

Seun’s latest album “A Long Way to the Beginning” debuted May 27. While he continues his father’s Afrobeat sound, he has added his own rhythms and cites Chuck, Dr. Dre and Eminem as musical heroes.

Stuart’s once again partnered with the Ohio University Performing Arts and Concert Series and the African Studies Program to make this concert happen. Koscho said he is especially excited because, through Arts for Ohio, there are a limited number of free tickets for OU students for Kuti’s concert.

Steve Howard, director of African Studies, said he also set up transportation to Stuart’s from Baker University Center fourth floor at 7 p.m. in order to further help students experience this event.

“(Seun) is now the one who is carrying on this really important 40- or 50-year-old tradition of this type of music in Africa and is taking it around the world,” Howard said.

@buzzlightmeryl

mg986611@ohio.edu