Best-selling author returns to OU

Bringing his celebrated wit and wry humor back to Athens, New York Times best-selling humor essayist David Sedaris continues serving his trademark humor to local readers inside the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium Monday night. 

Bringing his celebrated wit and wry humor back to Athens, New York Times best-selling humor essayist David Sedaris continues serving his trademark humor to local readers inside the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium Monday night. 

“As a best-selling author and a celebrated humorist on NPR, David is extremely popular,” said Andrew Holzaepfel, associate director of the Campus Involvement Center. “His performances are very funny and full of cutting wit.”

Sedaris first came to Ohio University on April 7, 2009, to a sold out crowd. As such, the Performing Arts Series, working alongside Innovation Arts & Entertainment, Little Professor Book Center and WOUB, felt it was necessary to have the author back on the MemAud stage. 

“He was very well received and therefore made a lot of sense to have him back on campus,” Holzaepfel said. 

Sedaris will be here to promote his newest book Let’s Explore “Diabetes With Owls”, the No. 1 New York Times bestseller released in April 2013, and also to entertain and engage the OU crowd with acutely observed stories and some of his most celebrated essays.

“His humor and writing style is unlike anything else out there,” said Cosmina Dragos, marketing coordinator for Innovation Arts & Entertainment. “He has been one of the best and most personable artists we’ve ever had the pleasure to work with.” 

In addition to his performance, Sedaris will also sign copies of his books after the show, which allows local fans to see the author and talk to him face-to-face. 

“Sedaris is a very friendly guy, very approachable and very generous with his time,” said Richard Purdy, co-owner of Little Professor. “I remember him coming up to the table after the show and meeting us one-on-one and being very humble and nice.” 

Dragos has seen Sedaris many times before and said the show is always new and fresh.  

“Every reading from David is unlike the last,” Dragos said. “Even after all these years he still works incredibly hard at his craft as he continues to perfect it.  Besides that, (the show’s) flat out hilarious.”

@thewillofash

wa054010@ohio.edu