Coach Frank Solich concentrates during the game between Penn State on Sept. 1, 2012. 

Football: Chippewas bested Bobcats on the road

Coach Frank Solich said after Saturday’s loss to Central Michigan, none of the Bobcats played well.

Frank Solich couldn’t find anything positive to say after Ohio’s Saturday loss on the road to Central Michigan.

The Ohio coach said he’d probably take his words back after watching film but that the Bobcats were utterly dominated from the start of their 28-10 loss in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.

“This was really a team loss,” Solich said. “I don’t think anyone is exempt on this one.  

I don’t think any of us played well.” 

The Bobcats (3-3, 1-1 Mid-American Conference) were held to just 29 yards on 24 plays in the first half, and they never led after the Chippewas drove 77 yards for a touchdown on the game’s first drive. 

Central Michigan (3-3, 1-1 MAC) outgained Ohio 472-197 and was led by running back Thomas Rawls’ 234 rushing yards on 40 attempts. Rawls transferred to Central Michigan from Michigan this summer.

Ohio’s defense didn’t only struggle to stop Central Michigan — it also was hampered by injuries.

Linebackers Jovon Johnson, a redshirt junior, and Blair Brown, a redshirt sophomore, as well as redshirt junior cornerback Devin Jones, left with injuries and didn’t play in the second half.

Redshirt junior cornerback Ian Wells also didn’t make the trip after suffering an injury last week. 

“We’re getting thin, but got capable backups,” redshirt senior safety Josh Kristoff said. “Everybody that comes in the game has the ability to play and play well. We’re getting some injuries, but it’s ‘next guy up’ and he’s got to come in and perform.”

The Bobcats’ defense was on the field for almost three full quarters of gameplay. The offense was unable to gain any momentum and establish an extended drive, and Ohio punted on each of its first six drives.

JD Sprague, a redshirt sophomore, started at quarterback for the second straight week, but had difficulties connecting with receivers. He completed just 7 of 21 passes for 103 yards, and couldn’t continue plays on the ground either as he was sacked three times.

“We just didn’t execute. I’ll take full responsibility on most of those plays I could’ve done something different to make the play go better,” Sprague said. “We can’t beat a MAC team if we’re going to play like that.”

Sprague and Solich said after the game that the Bobcats’ poor execution was their biggest hindrance to developing drives, but big gains in the second half kept them within reach of a comeback.

Sprague found redshirt senior wide receiver Chase Cochran for 46 yards on the first play of the fourth quarter and followed up the deep ball with a 24-yards scamper to the Central Michigan one-yard line. Tim Edmond, a senior running back, then rushed for the Bobcats’ lone touchdown.

Daz Patterson, a junior, started at running back in place of freshman A.J. Ouellette, who dressed but didn’t play after suffering an ankle injury last week. Patterson finished with 82 yards on 12 attempts including a 49-yard run for his longest gain of the year.

“We made some plays, but certainly not enough plays to be able to put together the kind of game that’s going to keep you in the game,” Solich said.

Ohio’s MAC record is back to even at 1-1, and they’ll return to host Bowling Green for homecoming next weekend. 

Sprague said the Bobcats need to play much better in order to beat the Falcons.

“We’ve got to worry about Bowling Green and get the ball rolling from there,” Sprague said. “This team won’t go down on itself. We’ll keep fighting, we’ll keep giving effort and energy.”

@chadlindskog

cl027410@ohio.edu