To welcome the thousands of new students, the Marching 110 took to the streets and showed off their music and their moves. (SETH ARCHER | PICTURE EDITOR)

Marching 110 adapts to new performance environment

The Marching 110 will not follow the Bobcats this week as they prepare to perform in a new venue.  

While Ohio University students are dressed in crazy costumes for Block Party the Marching 110 wears its uniforms with pride for a performance at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana.

The Marching 110 is performing its Justin Timberlake medley at the Bands of America Super Regional. Bands from 48 high schools are competing for scores, and the 110 is performing as the high school bands wait anxiously for the announcement of the finalist, said Josh Boyer, assistant director of the Marching 110.

Preparation is needed before setting to perform in an indoor stadium. Beside the regular practices, the 110 used ear plugs during practice on Thursday to prepare for the different sound in the new setting, Boyer said.

“It makes them really listen for the percussion and for that pulse,” Boyer said. “It tries to simulate the idea that they won’t hear the band. They will hear this dull sound from the field.”

Some members of the 110 already had the experience of playing at Lucas Oil Stadium with Drum Corps International.

“Essentially, (Drum Corps International) is like major league marching band,” said Phil Showalter, a senior studying music education and trumpet player in the Marching 110.

Showalter knows the change in sound and is confident in the 110’s ability to perform and enhance the Justin Timberlake tunes due to the weekly preparation in the Walter Field House.

Kyle Marx, a senior studying music education and a past 110 member, also experienced Lucas Oil Stadium multiple times with Drum Corps International. Seeing a wall of people sitting in the stands and having them cheer as the band stepped on the field let Marx see performing in a new way.

“When you play, overall, the group produces an insane amount of sound and high level of volume, but … you can really only hear the people on either side of you,” said Marx.

The change in setting is a welcomed challenge by the 110, especially because it is the band’s first time playing at a Bands of America event and the last long trip of the season, Boyer said.

@lizb143

eb823313@ohio.edu