Ingrid Michaelson set to take the MemAud stage Nov. 13.

Ingrid Michaelson returns to OU for Lights Out tour

The indie singer-songwriter Ingrid Michaelson will take the MemAud stage Thursday.

Ingrid Michaelson is bringing her indie style of music complete with a ukulele to Ohio University, but it’s not her first time performing in Athens.

The “Girls Chase Boys” singer will bring her Lights Out tour to the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium Thursday night at 7:30 p.m. with Chris Koza, member of the indie-folk rock band Rogue Valley.

“She’s very popular right now with her indie-pop singer-songwriter style,” said Andrew Holzaepfel, associate director of the Campus Involvement Center.

But before Michaelson was a more established artist, she made a stop at Ohio University as an opening act, Holzaepfel said. She came to Athens alongside singer Mat Kearney in 2010.

Michaelson began her music career through the TV industry. With songs featured on popular shows, such as Grey’s Anatomy and 90210, Michaelson found a place in the music industry. Her cover of Elvis Presley’s “Can’t Help Falling in Love with You” was featured in the second season on Pretty Little Liars and gained widespread recognition.

Her single “The Way I Am,” also known as “The Sweater Song,” became popular in 2007 when the song was featured in an Old Navy commercial in order to advertise sweaters.

Recently Michaelson released her album Lights Out, which features the single “Girls Chase Boys” and her rising single “Afterlife,” a song about living life in the moment and the beauty of the present. The “Afterlife” music video released in late October features fans of Michaelson conquering their greatest fears.

Holzaepfel said he does not expect a full venue but believes the show is a good addition to the other singers, comedians and actors who have joined the ranks of the Performing Arts Series this semester.

“We never expected this to be a full sellout,” Holzaepfel said. “We always expected this to be where we shut the balcony down, so we should have a very full first floor.”

Despite the possibility of a smaller crowd, students are still eager for the show.

“I’ve heard of her music before, and I’ve listened to a few songs by her,” said Laura Gilbert, a freshman studying communication studies. “Just recently, because I’m going to the concert, I started listening to a lot more music by her … I love (her music). It’s like cute little indie songs, and it’s really relaxing to listen to.”

Even though some students, such as Abbey Koehl, a freshman studying education, have not seen her live before, they are looking forward to a show with not just ballads and love songs but music to sing along and dance to.

“She’s one of my favorite artists, and I’m super excited for the show,” Koehl said.

@lizb143

eb823313@ohio.edu