Siblings John Mlynarski, right, and Andrew Mlynarski, left, both came to Ohio to hone their shared craft of golf.

Young starters get chance at Hilton Head tourney

The Bobcats were competing in South Carolina this week at the Wexford Plantation Intercollegiate.

The men’s golf team was looking for some relief from the winter weather at its tournament in South Carolina on Monday and Tuesday.

The Bobcats, however, finished in 18th place out of 19 teams at the Wexford Plantation Intercollegiate in Hilton Head, South Carolina — a tournament shortened Tuesday due to bad weather.

This event has been a regular stop for the team during the past six years, but Ohio hasn’t had much success in the competition. Its best finish during that stretch was ninth place in 2010.

Coach Bob Cooley and the Bobcats went with a young starting group this week, as four of the five were underclassmen. Freshmen Grant Engel and Brady Bohl, sophomores Peyton White and Ty Herriott and senior Andrew Mlynarski represented the ‘Cats.

White led the way for the team, finishing tied for 41st place out of 95 golfers. This was the second consecutive year in which White placed first on the team in this tournament.

“It’s a course where you have to scrap around,” White said. “I think it’s more mental toughness than anything, especially in the weather that we had, so it’s just a matter of sticking with it and knowing that a lot of bogeys are gonna happen.”

Cooley noted that White could have finished much higher if it weren’t for three holes in particular.

“I think he played pretty well except for I think he had a triple-bogey and two double-bogeys,” Cooley said. “Other than those three holes he was probably close to being triple over par for the whole tournament.”

A score of three-over par would have placed White tied for 12th place overall.

Bohl made his debut in the starting five at this tournament and placed second on the team. He received high praise from Cooley and White after the strong showing, despite the poor weather and nerves that come with a first tournament at the collegiate level.

“I think our team is starting to get a lot younger,” White said. “That’s a huge advantage for us in the future and now just getting those kids experience.”

@Matt_Fout

mf056713@ohio.edu