Maria Fischer

Campus Chatter: Stop making changes to the fests

These increased costs and early shut downs will be the demise of fest season — a tradition that current students and alumni alike want to see continue.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f8ff4bc8-ce75-11e4-9146-0ba3f9f626d2"}}

Friends, fun and lots and lots of parties — yes, fest season is truly the best season.

But this year has been a little different.

Prime Social Group, the promotions company that host #Fest, announced last week that it would be implementing a new $10 BYOB fee. The Athens Police Department (APD) began shutting down High Fest as early as 2 p.m. last weekend. APD Police Chief Tom Pyle told The Post in the same article that he believes the number of fest arrests would be higher this year than they were last year.

With new fees, busted parties and an expected increase in arrests, it seems as though fest season is taking a turn for the worse. What started out as a fun tradition is now turning into a struggle between students and those in power — namely, Prime Social Group and APD.

“I am disappointed that the fests have been getting shut down so early,” Ohio University senior Carly Sherer said. “The house we were at for High Fest was fine. Anyone with drinks stayed in the grass.”

But the party ending early is just one of Sherer’s grievances this year. She is also concerned about the rising costs of #Fest.

“Ticket prices are already up to $50, and then there’s that beer fee. On top of that, if you want to drink liquor, you have to buy it at the fest,” she said. “I hate that fest season has changed so much. I’m a senior and I don’t know if I’m even going to go now.”

Many Ohio University students share Carly’s frustration. Dominic Petrozzi, #Fest founder, cites “safety reasons” for the new $10 BYOB fee. However, the announcement about the additional cost didn’t come until after a majority of students purchased their tickets, leaving skeptical festers worried about Petrozzi’s motives and the fate of #Fests to come.

But that’s if festers can make it to #Fest weekend without getting arrested.

I get it: fest season has blown up over the years. Costs have to rise to accommodate the tens of thousands of students who flock to Ohio University for fest season, and arrests need to be made to keep everyone safe and under control.

But as long as no one is harming themselves or others, let Bobcats party in peace — and for a college-budget friendly price.

Maria Fischer is a junior studying journalism. Email her at mf628211@ohio.edu.