Cassie Fait

Food ads promoting unhealthy 'food tricks' can be harmful

Cassie writes about the obsession with being thin and how many food companies promote their food with “get thin quick” posts.

As soon as spring break and summer nears, my Facebook feed becomes swamped with food tricks to “get skinny quickly” or to “get a flat stomach in 30 days.” When has food become a promotional tool for the perfect body? Our culture promotes skinny idealism. Too much pressure and smothering about body idealism extends to an online presence, especially Facebook.

Last year, Facebook suggested content for me that said “Students Slimdown Secret” as I prepared for my spring break trip. Supposedly, a breakthrough fruit could cause “miracles” for college girls — meaning the flawless beach body. The photo of the fruit looked like a hollowed avocado with a raw egg yolk inside.

On March 28, Harper’s Bazaar posted “The 24-Hour Flat Stomach Meal Plan” on Facebook. I replied with a body positive statement, “Why are flat bellies the norm? All bodies are beautiful. Love yourself for who you are.” One user replied with a negative message, saying “It's for those that like to have a flat belly ... I like mine flat! If you don't this article is not for you! Got it?” Ideals of an uber skinny body, tiny waist and large breast size are hitting an abnormal obsession across the world.

That kind of obsession with keeping your stomach flat places a lot of pressure on people. The media needs to be aware that their promoted messages can have a negative impact on their readers. Many readers wholeheartedly trust what is published.

There are even media outlets that focus on being skinny. Skinnytaste is a low calorie recipe website with the slogan, “Skinny on calories but not on flavor!” That kind of focus on calorie counting takes the fun out of food and instead makes it a chore.

These kinds of social media posts combine negative associations of food and negative body images. “Fad diets,” which many sites are promoting, are an absurd trend. Many are dangerous and lack the proper nutritional value needed for the day.

Food is not the enemy. Smart eating provides the necessary means for healthy living.

Cassie Fait is a senior studying journalism and women’s, gender and sexuality studies. Email her at cf301411@ohio.edu.