The Post newsroom, Baker 325

Editor-in-Chief Jim Ryan says goodbye to ‘The Post’

Leading this publication for the past year has been one of the greatest pleasures of my life. This column is my last. Friday is my final day on the job. 

Leading this publication for the past year has been one of the greatest pleasures of my life.

Alas, this column is my last. Friday is my final day on the job.

Emma Ockerman will pick up where I left off, leading the staff of The Post and writing you every Friday beginning in September.

The Post will do prolific work under her leadership, I’m sure, and provide excellent coverage of Ohio University and Athens — as my graduating colleagues and I have strived to do for the past four years.

After all, this newsroom is home to some of the most dedicated, trustworthy and ambitious people I have ever had the chance to meet. I’m forever thankful to have shared this experience with them.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f048647c-2f08-11e4-be83-001a4bcf6878"}}

They’re the ones who meet me for pitchers of PBR at the Smiling Skull on Thursday nights and spend every day sharing an office with 13 iMacs and no windows.

This column has been a reflection of my experience here, leading The Post. Here’s what this publication means to several of my graduating colleagues:

• “I pay rent for a place to live, not a home. When I look back, Baker 325 will be where I ate occasionally, slept occasionally and was supported always by the greatest and most talented people on this campus.” — Jake Newton, design editor
  • The Post is a place where students come to put the theory they’ve learned in the classroom to work and get real-world experience … They get that training in exchange for one day giving it back to students who want the same thing.” — Josh Jamerson, senior news editor
  • The Post gave me the bylines that led to internships, a place to feel comfortable on campus and the friends who I now consider family.” — Sara Jerde, managing editor
  • “It’s made me a part of something that I can be proud of over these four years.” — Ian Ording, copy chief
  • The Post mostly means a learning experience that I had in college, and the most valuable one that I had here in my four years here.” — William Hoffman, digital managing editor
  • “Basically everything in my college career can be linked back to The Post in some way, and I’m very thankful for that. … These are my people.” — Emily Bamforth, culture editor

I feel the same way.

As always, thanks for reading.

Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post. Contact him at jr992810@ohio.edu or on Twitter at @Jimryan015.