Women's golfer, Hailey Hrynewich, of Muskegon, MI, poses for a portrait. (FILE)

Hrynewich wins Lady Colonel Classic

Sophomore Hailey Hrynewich won this weekend’s Lady Colonel Classic after winning a one-hole playoff.

After heavy rain and storms cancelled a pair of rounds Friday, Ohio was left with just 18 holes to compete in the Lady Colonel Classic  over the weekend.

And that was all sophomore Hailey Hrynewich needed.

Hrynewich shot par and won a one-hole playoff to clinch her first individual victory of her collegiate career, which also pushed Ohio into second place—just four strokes shy of winning.

Hrynewich made the most of her 19 holes, tying with Eastern Kentucky’s Sofie Levin for first place through 18 and taking the trophy home after besting Levin on the first playoff hole.

“Hailey is an extremely talented golfer,” coach Kelly Ovington said. “On top of having a great golf intelligence she is very confident and fiber-less on the golf course. This combination could really take her to the highest levels of golf. 

“I think she is just starting to truly see what she is capable of and that she can definitely find success in this sport.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f67c440e-cb79-11e4-b0e0-77c1c1f437d0"}}

The Colonels, which hosted the tournament, won as a team. However, as has been the norm for this year’s Bobcats, the second-place finish Saturday was their best at the Lady Colonel Classic during Ovington’s tenure at Ohio. 

Hrynewich was not without support from some of her teammates, with freshman Lily Pendy and senior Julie Lechner each posting scores of 77, which placed them tied for 13th at the end of the day. 

“This is a very talented team,” Ovington said. “Each player has stepped up to the challenge and is truly focused on the process and continuing to trust themselves and their teammates to work hard.”

@JAjimbojr

jw331813@ohio.edu