#FestSeasonTips Logo

Local eateries offer foods to quench the drunken thirst

Late night eating uptown doesn’t have to be unhealthy.

It’s no secret that as your tab at the bar increases, so does your hunger level.

When late nights wind down or when day-drinking comes to a break, boozers Athens-wide take to Court Street to soak up the alcohol in their stomachs before their much-anticipated slumbers. This can lead to even more calories being consumed as late night bites are traditionally unhealthy.

But not every drunken food has to be greasy and fattening, even though we all know that’s what tastes the best.

If you happen to find yourself in need of nourishment to curb your intoxicated hunger during the day, look no further than these uptown eateries:

1. Bagel Street Deli

Located at 27 S. Court St., this restaurant is a favorite of pretty much everyone within 100 miles of Athens. All exaggerations aside, this business is perfect for people who want to eat but not necessarily put on the pounds. With a wide offering on its menu, including several options of tofu, Bagel Street does a great job of catering to students on a budget.

via Tumblr user undecidead

1. Pita Pit

8 N. Court St. is home to this chain whose slogan is “Fresh Thinking, Healthy Eating.” The online nutritional guide shows customers exactly how many calories each item has so you could hypothetically plan your visit beforehand. While it is usually more expensive than some of its counterparts, Pita Pit is open until midnight on weekends, leaving plenty of opportunities for partygoers to take advantage.

via Tumblr user bricesander

1. Subway

This national franchise is known for being a healthy fast food option and is located at 25 N. Court St. Famous for its “$5 footlong,” Subway now has a Simple $6 Menu that includes a six-inch sandwich, chips and a drink. You can choose to eat Lays Oven Baked chips and have water to make this a healthy, cheap and filling meal.

via Tumblr user chibachelor

For you late night owls, you are not left out in the world of uptown healthy drunk eating. These dining places are open into the wee hours of the morning:

1. Union Street Diner

One of Athens’ only 24-hour restaurants and another local favorite, this establishment on  70 W. Union St. has cemented itself as the premier go-to spot for late night lushes looking to eat. Its extensive menu allows patrons to eat breakfast all day, meaning you can feasibly eat a stack of pancakes while drunk at 4:30 a.m.

via Tumblr user gabriellecott

1. Jimmy John’s

Another sandwich franchise — yes there is a bread and carb theme here — but this one is at 16 S. Court St. Jimmy John’s is open late into the night until 3:30 a.m. and since customers can choose what exactly goes into their sub, the decision is up to you to make healthier choices.

via Tumblr user fupaparty

1. Wendy’s

Hear me out before you roll your eyes. Wendy’s at 40 S. Court St. offers some salads under 400 calories, which I have tried, that actually taste good. However, if you figure out a way to avoid eating spicy chicken nuggets and french fries late at night, tweet me and tell me your secrets.

via Tumblr user mariehenderson231

It goes without saying, but drink responsibly, preferably with a glass or two of water interspersed throughout the night. Have a fun rest of #FestSeason.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="fc48ffaa-d428-11e4-a788-6b98b77a22c6"}}

Will Gibbs is a sophomore studying journalism. Email him at wg868213@ohio.edu or tweet him your #FestSeasonTips on Twitter at @w_gibbs.