Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post

‘Post’ series aim to highlight hottest topics of student interest

Editor Jim Ryan wraps up The Post’s weeklong series about student debt, asks for suggestions about what the topic of The Post’s next in-depth series should be.

Today’s story about rising tuition and its effect on student debt wraps up The Post’s weeklong series about the debt that hinders many students during and after their attendance at Ohio University.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="742d2034-dca6-11e4-9411-3f21d7cb3186"}}

The series, dubbed “The Degree of Debt,” was a project many months in the making, bred from the efforts of more than 30 reporters, photographers and editors. Hours upon hours were spent reporting, editing and presenting the final products that you have read this week. I’m proud of the work The Post staff has done on such an important topic.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1f118996-dca6-11e4-ab98-831afbaae7ee"}}

We spoke with students who struggle to pay for college by working minimum wage jobs and protesters who have opposed tuition hikes, claiming the cost of their education is unaffordable. We spoke with others who are feeling the post-graduate effects of excessive borrowing or have left the university because of their financial burden. We were able to set these individual vignettes against the backdrop of rising tuition at public universities across the state, presenting an unparalleled look at a topic that affects the majority of OU students.

The Degree of Debt was conceived in the wake of our weeklong October series about sexual assault in Southeast Ohio.

The two topics are among the most widely discussed among OU students this academic year, and I’m glad The Post has been able to further the discussion about each of them.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4faa106c-dd8e-11e4-96c8-2799cada5e30"}}

If you missed this week’s series or would like to look back on our series about sexual assault, you can find each of them on the “Special Projects” tab on thepostathens.com.

In the meantime, we’re currently searching for our next in-depth series topic and would love to hear from you about what subject we should explore next. Please feel free to send me an email to let me know what you’re thinking.

And as always, thanks for reading.

Jim Ryan is a senior studying journalism and political science and editor-in-chief of The Post. Contact him at jr992810@ohio.edu or on Twitter @Jimryan015.