Backwords

Sound of Athens: Backwords has been grooving since '85

Athens band Backwords has been rocking since ‘85.

The predominant Indie scene in Athens is just too new for this infamous old school band.

Backwords started playing gigs consisting of music mostly from the ’60s and ’70s in 1985 and continues to be an active band in Athens.

“We play what we like and we try to keep most of it dance stuff,” Michael Tobar, the keyboard player, said. “I know sometimes it’s called old school or classic rock, but I like to call it vintage rock.”

The band has about 400 songs in its repertoire including “American Girl” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, “Play That Funky Music” by Wild Cherry and “Jenny Jenny” by Tommy Tutone, band frontman Lou Horvath said.

Despite “Freebird” by Lynyrd Skynyrd being a common request, the band sticks to its roots and doesn’t play bluegrass or country, he added.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="99eb515e-4c42-11e5-b537-8f379ef14727"}}

Different songs are rotated into the setlist so there is some variation in the performances.

All the band members are good friends and enjoy playing together, which is one of the reasons the band has been together for 30 years, Tobar said.

“If it wasn’t fun, why would we do it?” Kenny Dean, the percussionist, said.

Characterized by long sets and a wide range of music, Backwords has played at Ohio Brew Week on the opening Friday for the last few years and frequently plays at The Smiling Skull Saloon. For the first time last year, the band was a part of the annual Athens Halloween Block Party.

In the early 2000s, the band played at football tailgates, Horvath said.

At one particular tailgate show, the only thing that could be heard was a whistle. Dean said he brought a samba whistle for “Black Magic Woman” without telling anyone.

“After we’re done, we probably have $30,000 of sound equipment. What is it that can be heard over all of it? A $15 whistle,” Dean said with a laugh.

Backwords has been referred to as a “bladder busting band” for sets lasting longer than an hour, but when the band was forming, long sets were needed to play a gig.

“When you’re together, there is something about (making) v bmusic with a group of people and having all the voices sync together and having all the guitars and drums synch together,” Horvath said. “It’s incredible. It’s such a lift, such a high.

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu