Kenyetta Whitfield

Popular Progression: 2015 Emmy Awards a platform for change

Award ceremonies aren’t always three hours “pointless” pop culture jargon.

Last week, any student who possessed a television, crafty Internet live stream skills and an ounce of care tuned in to the 67th annual Primetime Emmy Awards. I was not one of these people due to my lack of a television, however, Tumblr, Twitter and endless recap articles kept my Emmys fire burning.

Even though I didn’t watch the star-studded event, it is clear to me that this year’s did not disappoint. Shows that deserved to win won, and more importantly, history was made.

By now, it is old news that actress Viola Davis, of the hit show “How to Get Away With Murder,” became the first black woman to win the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. So no, this isn’t a belated yet elated attempt to discuss what a great stride for history her win was. It is, however, important to note that Davis’ speech is among an increasing number of speeches and segments during award shows that highlight important issues among marginalized groups in America.

In her speech, Davis addressed the lack of roles for black women in Hollywood. How can they win when they are not presented with roles?

At last year’s Oscars, actress Patricia Arquette gave an impassioned speech about the wage gap and paying women what they deserve. During the same ceremony, rapper Common and singer John Legend performed their Oscar-winning song “Glory," and reflected on the state of race relations in the United States, as well as the events happening in Baltimore and Ferguson.

Have award shows finally become a platform for modern celebrity outreach and outcry? Apparently they have, and it is about time. The large forces in popular culture should be using these national stages to advocate.

Yet, even with all the conversations being had during the show, there have been even larger conversations afterward. American award ceremonies are supposed to showcase the biggest and the best of current pop culture, and it is no surprise that when these shows ignore the current state of affairs in our country or, even worse, mock them, people get mad.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4561d2be-6021-11e5-a765-bb463de4538c"}}

When Selma director Ava DuVernay was snubbed at last year’s Oscars, there were pleas for diversity among nominees. After giving her speech, Arquette was criticized for blatantly ignoring women of color’s struggles compared to white women. Even in the hands of trend geniuses, MTV, this year’s VMAs were ridiculed because of host Miley Cyrus’ apparent cultural appropriation, as well as actor Rebel Wilson’s joke regarding police brutality, a joke that felt like a personal attack on the current Black Lives Matter movement.

So long are the days of mindlessly watching sparkly dresses and tailored suits as they cross the stage and thank their mothers teary-eyed. Award ceremonies give celebrities the chance to verbalize their thoughts and stances on issues. It’s a stage where a Today Show host or a PR rep cannot control the situation and I think that’s wonderful.

Public figures can ignite conversation, activism and thought just by uttering a few thoughts in a sparkling gown on a stage for two minutes. They can also behave in ways that get those of us watching and talking. I’m not saying the Oscars is the new form of protest, but the red carpet is one small snippet of the things transforming as we become more progressive and desperate for change.

Kenyetta Whitfield is a sophomore studying journalism. What did you think of Viola Davis’ speech? Tweet Kenyetta @Ken_Whitty or email her at kw162913@ohio.edu.