Mike Laster shoots the ball in Ohio’s game against Florida Gulf Coast on Nov. 14 at The Convo. The Bobcats won the game 85-75.

Men's Baksetball: Ohio tops Florida Gulf Coast in season-opener at The Convo

Ohio defeats Florida Gulf Coast in its season opener behind Wadly Mompremier, Jaaron Simmons and Kenny Kaminski's performances.

Kenny Kaminski and Jaaron Simmons have played in big games before.

It showed Saturday when Kaminski hit a deep two-point field goal to beat the first half buzzer and when Simmons drove into the lane fearlessly against Florida Gulf Coast.

The duo combined for 37 points and 14 rebounds Saturday — powering Ohio past Florida Gulf Coast 85-75. Ohio has won its season opener for the 11th-straight year.

“We're just going to continue to get better and better each game,” Simmons said. "We're a young team, so the ball movement, the shots falling, it's all gonna come, and it's just going to get better as the season progresses." 

They weren’t alone, however.

Wadly Mompremier recorded his first career double-double, scoring 12 points and grabbing 12 rebounds off the bench as foul trouble ended forward Antonio Campbell’s day early.

"It felt great, and I think I surprised a lot of people," Mompremier said. "And I'm going to keep on doing when I've been doing." 

Sophomore guard Mike Laster also provided a spark off the bench, garnering eight points and three rebounds with off-ball cuts to the basket and high energy. Redshirt senior Treg Setty also added nine points in the win. 

"Everyone is going to talk Wadly, but Mike Laster did a heck of a job tonight," Ohio coach Saul Phillips said. "He played six minutes in our exhibition, didn't pout one second. He's Detroit tough, man. He is a tough kid."

Depth was Ohio's strongest asset during Saturday's win, with Florida Gulf Coast only taking the lead once in the first half. From backdoor cuts, second chance opportunities and quick ball movement, Ohio was exactly what Phillips preached early in the preseason: selfless. 

The Bobcats shot 48 percent from the field, a 14 percent improvement in comparison to last year's matchup with the Eagles, in part to Simmons control of the offense and willingness to assist other teammates. Simmons finished with seven assists. 

And from their selfless play, the Bobcats nixed nearly any early season doubts fans in The Convo may of had heading in. 

"I think (Ohio)'s length and their height are going to give teams problems this year," Florida Gulf Coast coach Joe Dooley said. 

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu