Ohio infielder, JR Nelson (34), up to bat during a game against Toledo at Bob Wren Stadium, April 27, 2024, in Athens.

Baseball: Ohio comes away with big win in series finale against Toledo

Ohio (14-25, 9-15 Mid-American Conference) picked up a huge series victory over Toledo (20-24 overall, 13-11 Mid-American Conference) after a solid win on Sunday that saw Ohio lead for all nine innings. 

Starter Blake Gaskey gave one of the best starts Ohio had all season, and with big days from the likes of Gideon Antle, Jackson Cauthron and Caleb Karll, Ohio was able to secure a 5-3 victory. 

Gaskey’s big day started in the first inning, only allowing a single base runner after hitting the second batter he faced. In the second inning, Gaskey struck out two batters and went 1-2-3, quickly turning over the ball to his offense, who was able to deliver and bring home the game's first run. 

“We challenged the pitching staff after yesterday’s game, and they responded the right way,” said Ohio head coach Craig Moore. “Blake Gaskey did an excellent job of getting us into the game there and holding their offense down.”

Ohio’s first score came thanks in part to a huge play from junior catcher Jackson Cauthron. In his first at-bat of the game, Cauthron drove a ball deep to right-center field that was unable to be reeled in by the Toledo right fielder who dove for the ball and missed. Cauthron took advantage and slid into third after advancing to third off of an error. 

Not only would his triple lead to the game's first run after Caleb Karll’s sacrifice fly brought home Cauthron, but it also gave the Bobcats a huge boost of energy to start the game. 

“It was electric,” said Cauthron. “This was a do or die win for us and we needed that. I just wanted to bring the energy and just keep everything going from there.”

BaseballVsToledo_4_27_2024_Kinney_Abbie_22.jpg
Members of the Ohio baseball team in the dugout during a game against Toledo at Bob Wren Stadium, April 27, 2024, in Athens.

Gaskey would go 1-2-3 yet again in the third inning, his last inning holding onto a shutout before Toledo’s Owen Jackson came up to bat and blasted a ball into the batter’s eye in center field for a home run and the game-tying run. 

Thankfully for Gaskey, the offense would once again come through, this time scoring 2 runs in the fourth inning off of RBIs from Caleb Karll and Trenton Neuer, the latter of whom grounded into a double play but still scored AJ Rausch.

With a 3-1 lead after the fourth, it was smooth sailing for Gaskey the rest of the way, who only allowed a single hit in his next three innings of work before being pulled to start the eighth. 

Gaskey finished the game after pitching seven innings and allowing just three hits, 1 run and striking out nine Toledo batters. With his changeup working, Gaskey has been extremely productive for Ohio. 

“The past couple weeks I've been able to find the change up a little bit,” said Gaskey. “I feel like throwing a changeup for strikes, just like I said, allows me to be able to throw the slider and the fastball a lot less to be able to keep off balance and do what I got to do.”

After Gaskey’s day was done, senior Gideon Antle was able to cushion Ohio’s lead with a 2-run home run, giving Ohio’s bullpen a solid lead to work with. 

Although the Rockets did score 2 runs before the final out, Luke Olson was able to put them away to secure his third save of the season and the win for Ohio. 

@CharlieFadel

cf111322@ohio.edu