Emma Ockerman

What 'The Post' editor-in-chief read last week: Week 12

Post editor recounts what she read last week and what you might want to delve into this Sunday afternoon 

This is a more somber Sunday than most.

Whether you identify as spiritual person or not, the end of the week is typically considered a time for rest and reflection. Between the attacks in Paris and Beirut, campus unrest across the nation and the vitriolic hatred I've seen plaguing social media these past 72 hours, it's hard to spot a heart that isn't collectively weary and downtrodden during an almost betraying, typical Sunday afternoon.

Still, the week ends and begins as it always does — with a little more understanding than the one before it, and a combination of hope and fear for the one ahead. 

Here's what I read this week:

1. Ohio University posted the Ohio University Survivor Advocacy Program interim survivor advocate position on its website ohiouniversityjobs.com Friday after nearly a month of the position being vacated. According to a Post report, One OU student — a freshman who was sexually assaulted her first week on campus — felt the effects of that month-long absence almost immediately. “Every single person I talked to, it felt like I was screaming into the air," the undecided freshman said. "No one was listening, but SAP did."

2. More than 100 OU students stood with the campus chapter of the NAACP Wednesday in an act of solidarity with the University of Missouri, Madeleine Peck writes for The Post. One student said: “One of the biggest reasons I'm here is because we need to start addressing racism in every aspect including at Ohio University.”

3. This Atlantic piece discussing trigger warnings and "safe spaces" on college campuses was shared heavily on social media last week in wake of protests sparked by Mizzou and Yale's student bodies, respectively. The article suggests some of these movements, sparked by what some students consider to be a violation of their comforts, have actually hurt students' mental health rather than helped it. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="0bc29ece-8963-11e5-b323-9f4aea583669"}}

4.My father, a fan of Esquire's Charles Pierce, will appreciate this one. The first story I read this morning was Pierce's piece titled "The Is Only One Way to Defeat ISIS." Keeping with Pierce's typical writing, the article is beautifully written and painfully reflective. One quote: "The stillness of the news is a place of refuge and of reason on yet another day in which both of these qualities are predictably in short supply."

— Emma Ockerman is a junior studying journalism and editor-in-chief of The Post. Have an article for her to read? Email her at eo300813@ohio.edu or tweet her at @eockerman.