Randy Newman is one of 13 acts announced to play at the 2016 Nelsonville Music Festival. 

Randy Newman and more announced to play at 2016 Nelsonville Music Festival

Thirteen acts have been announced to play at the Nelsonville Music Festival in June 2016. 

Film score composer and singer-songwriter Randy Newman, Swedish singer-songwriter The Tallest Man on Earth and Columbus-based band MojoFlo are among the first acts to be announced for the 12th annual Nelsonville Music Festival.

The 2016 festival is set to take place from June 2 to June 5 at Robbins Crossing at Hocking College in Nelsonville.

“It tends to be a music festival for music lovers,” Brian Koscho, marketing director of Stuart’s Opera House and Nelsonville Music Festival. “There are all kinds of genres. That means both bigger kinda well known acts like Randy Newman who has been making music for almost 50 years and is like legendary and also The Tallest Man on Earth who has only been around since 2006.”

Newman is headlining the festival June 5, according to the Nelsonville Music Festival lineup. According to Newman’s website, his popular works include film scores from Disney movies, such as Toy Story and Monsters, Inc., but he’s also known for his songwriting and recordings during the late ’60s and the ’70s.

“We hope the huge fans of Randy for years and years will like (his performance) in our audience, but we’re also hoping that maybe some people who would have never thought of going to see him necessarily or a younger audience coming there to see someone like Mac DeMarco at least take the time to watch a living legend like that,” Koscho said.

Kristian Matsson, better known as The Tallest Man on Earth, broke into the music scene as a solo artist in 2006 with an extended play The Tallest Man on Earth. Critics have compared him to Bob Dylan.

The neo-funk band MojoFlo, which frequently plays in Athens, has also been announced to play at the festival.

Aside from the big acts, Koscho said indie singer-songwriter Angel Olsen and jazz group BADBADNOTGOOD are acts to look forward to.

“I think (Angel Olsen) is perfect for the Nelsonville crowd and also some people … if they’re not a fan already when they come, they will be after that,” Koscho said. “Same with BADBADNOTGOOD — they’re really awesome. They collaborated with people like Ghostface Killah and Odd Future and stuff like that.”

More acts will continue to be announced leading up to the festival. Last year’s lineup included Merle Haggard, St. Vincent and The Flaming Lips among other artists.

Weekend passes for non-Nelsonville residents are currently on sale for $125. A pass for Nelsonville residents is $65.

Here is the full first lineup announcement for the festival: 

• Randy Newman
  • The Tallest Man on Earth
  • Mac DeMarco
  • BADBADNOTGOOD
  • Angel Olsen
  • Twin Peaks
  • Marco Benevento
  • Son Little
  • All Them Witches
  • Michael Hurley
  • Daniel Bachman
  • Joan Shelley
  • MojoFlo

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu