Former Ohio University president Roderick McDavis released a report of highlights from his time as president on Tuesday. The report detailed accomplishments such as increasing national prominence, diversity and strategic partnerships among other things. (FILE)

EPA Environmental Protection Agency recognizes OU's green energy efforts

Ohio University ranked number 14 on EPA green energy list. 

Ohio University was ranked No. 14 by the Environmental Protection Agency in a list of higher education institutions within their Green Power Partnership, according to a news release from OU.

The list ranks colleges according to their green power usage.  

The Green Power Partnership consists of a group of organizations, from local governments to companies such as Apple Inc., who pursue green power use for the sake of the environment.

The university also ranked No. 89 on the National Top 100 List.

“We will continue to find new ways to utilize clean, renewable energy and are confident we will remain ranked as one of the top green power users by the EPA for many years to come,” OU President Roderick McDavis said in the news release.

OU also qualifies for the Green Power Leadership Club for exceeding the EPA’s minimum requirements on green power use.

OU fulfills 50 percent of its power needs, or 60 million kilowatt-hours annually, through green energy, according to the release. The university also has an on-site solar energy system. 

The press release cited numbers from the EPA saying OU’s green power use is equivalent to the amount of electricity used by more than 5,500 average American homes annually. According to the EPA’s website, all the institutions on the Top 30 list use a combined 2 billion kilowatt-hours of green power annually, or the equivalent of 181, 000 average American homes’ annual electricity use.

“The EPA is pleased to recognize the Ohio University as a leading Green Power Partner and applauds its purchase of green power, leadership among universities, and support of the voluntary renewable energy market,” James Critchfield, the program director of the Green Power Partnership, said.

@norajaara

nj342914@ohio.edu