Sebastian Smith runs the ball towards the endzone before being tackled in the first quarter of the Bobcat’s game against the Southeastern Louisiana Lions September 19, 2015. 

Football: Bobcats add 25 on National Signing Day

Ohio completed its 2016 recruiting class with 25 signings. 

Ohio rounded out its 2016 recruiting class Wednesday with 25 new additions committing on National Signing Day. 

“I really like the athleticism of the class,” coach Frank Solich said. “I also like the academic end of the class. There is no one that we are waiting on to see if they qualify to attend Ohio University.”  

The Bobcats bolstered their secondary Jan. 27 with the announcement of Kevin Houchins Jr. coming to play at Ohio in his final year of NCAA eligibility. Houchins Jr. made the announcement via Twitter.

Houchins Jr., a 5-foot-11 safety from South Euclid, last played in 2014 at the University of Louisville.

Tight end Keith Heitzman made a similar announcement at the end of the 2014 season, when he declared he would come play at Ohio after leaving the University of Michigan. He led Ohio in tight end receiving yards (297) in 2015.

“When they show up they definitely still need to earn (leadership status)” Solich said on transfers coming from other programs. “They’re coming from excellent schools. They have solid backgrounds. They are respected for what they have accomplished and hopefully what they will accomplish here.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="30aa9d78-a6cc-11e5-99c3-c390b3577b30"}}

The Bobcats landed another transfer from a big-name school when Tom Strobel announced he would transfer from the University of Michigan to Ohio to play for the Bobcats in his final year of eligibility.

Amongst these transfers are current high school students who will join the Ohio roster in 2016.

Desmond Noel, OL - Cincinnati - The 6-foot-4 lineman was an all-Greater Miami Conference first team at Colerain High School. Noel has proven to be versatile on the offensive line, playing both tackle and guard in high school.

Jared Dorsa, LB - Kings Mills - Dorsa verbally committed to the Bobcats in June 2015. He will be teammates with Eric Popp, LB - Loveland. The two linebackers played against each other for rival teams in the East Cincinnati Conference (Kings High School and Loveland High School, respectively). Popp led the Loveland Tigers to a 15-0 record and a Division II championship in 2015.

Cameron Odom, WR - Bedford Heights - Bedford High School's leading receiver in 2015 looks to continue setting records. Odom tallied over 500 receiving yards in his senior season.

“In the skill area we did recruit guys with really great speed,” Solich said. “I think that's critical in the receiver area, in the recruits — really talented guys.”

Ilyaas Motley, CB - Centerville - Motley, a first team all-Greater Western Ohio Conference cornerback, adds to Ohio's increasingly deep secondary. Ilyaas is joined by his twin brother Xavior Motley, who attended the same high school and will compete for a cornerback spot with the Bobcats.

Aidan O'Neill, K/P - New Paltz, New York - It'll be a three-way race to determine kicking and punting duties this season. O'Neill will compete with Michael Farkas and Louie Zervos after the departure of kicker Josiah Yazdani and punter Mitch Bonnstetter at the end of the 2015 season.

“Just like any other position you want competition, and that is just what Aidan is going to do,” Haines said. “He likes kicking more than punting but he is pretty good at both.”

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu

@HahnJeremyR

jh704614@ohio.edu