President Roderick McDavis speaks at the student senate meeting on Oct. 7.

Ohio University's Student Senate tabled a resolution that would allow student body polls

Ohio University Student Senate tabled a resolution that would potentially allow students to vote on campus-wide issues through referendums next year.

Student Senate tabled a resolution Wednesday that would allow students to vote on some campus-wide issues next year.

The vote would take place in the form of student body referendums, or polls, and the resolution would require approval from the Board of Trustees if passed by two-thirds of the senate.

Tyler Daniels, veteran’s affairs chair, raised concerns about asking students to vote directly in a representative democracy.

“We’re mixing two systems of government that just aren’t compatible,” he said.

A referendum would only be held when senate deems it necessary. For example, offering a vote to the student body could be a useful tool when senate is deadlocked, Gabby Bacha, senate president said.

“We won’t be sending every single thing we’re voting on to a referendum,” Hannah Clouser, senate treasurer, said. “The students we represent we will still be representing in so many other ways.”

The resolution was tabled so that adjustments could be made following Wednesday’s general body discussion.

“We have time to work on it,” Courteney Muhl, College of Health Science and Professions senator said. “We do have time to take it back to the drawing board, rework it and then present it again to you before the end of the year.”

Also at Wednesday's meeting, senate voted to form a standing committee that will appoint student trustee candidates to be sent to the Ohio governor for selection.

Last year, all students were able to vote for student trustee candidates that appeared on the spring election ballot alongside senator positions. In the end, Gov. John Kasich appointed the student trustee.

“By having the committee set up for the process, somebody won’t be shoed-in on a popularity type deal,” Landen Lama, a director of university relations and lead parliamentarian, said. “We aren’t totally cutting out the student voice on the issue. There will be open forums.”

Additionally, OU students Cassidy Paul, Cassidy Cleland and Zach Woods were appointed to serve on the Committee on Rules and Procedures. Woods was also appointed to fill an open Senate Appropriations Commission senator at-large seat.

Former senate interns Andrew McKinley and Zachary Kennedy were also appointed to fill open uFUND senator at-large seats.

mb076912@ohio.edu

@mayganbeeler