The LGBT Center highlights trans gender inequality in the prison system

International Day of Action in Solidarity with Trans Prisoners was honored at the LGBT Center with discussions, videos and postcards.

Despite the small showing at the LGBT Center Friday afternoon, the International Day of Action in Solidarity with Trans Prisoners went on with insightful discussions on the realities of trans prisoners.

“It was a small discussion, but there was a lot of information and a lot of resources were announced that people can totally go to and learn more about,” Stefan Koob, a sophomore studying hospitality, said.

That is why Hayley Shepard, an undecided freshman, decided to come to the event.

“My brother is trans so I really came to get some more information about the prisoners, about what happens to them and where they go,” Shepard said.

The International Day of Action in Solidarity with Trans Prisoners was founded by Marius Mason, a transgender man who is serving a 22-year sentence in a Texas prison.

This is the first year Jan. 22 will be designated to show solidarity in transgender prisoners, who are discriminated against.

“This day was started by a friend of mine,” Cindy Crabb, a graduate student in the Patton College of Education and the graduate assistant for the Women’s Center, said. “While in prison (Mason has) come out as being trans.”

And according to Crabb, Marius has been attempting to build solidarity amongst the trans community in prison.

Though Crabb referred to the organization as a bit “haphazard” at the moment, she expressed a lot of hope for its future growth.

After a brief introduction to the event, a short video was shown to the group entitled Busting Out. Originally the event was set to show bits and pieces from the documentary film Cruel and Unusual; which describes the experiences of five trans women within the prison system.

delfin bautista, director of the LGBT Center, said the entire film is too “intense” for a group showing, however the disc is available at Alden Library.

“Busting Out” showcased the TGI Justice Project, a program for trans prisoners after their release which assesses their needs and helps with re-entry. The video featires a trans woman who had previously been incarcerated in a men’s prison and suffered unwanted sexual situations and lack of available early release options.

“Laverne Cox is a badass,” bautsita, who uses they/them pronouns and lowercase spelling of their name, said about the actress from Orange is the New Black. “But that is not necessarily the experience of trans people in prison.”

The event facilitators then directed the attendees to postcards and stamps sitting on the table.

“We’re really hoping to start a pen pal program here with trans prisoners,” Crabb said.

The program is not limited to those in attendance at the event and, according to Crabb, the LGBT Center is open to anyone with an interest in becoming a pen pal.

bautista said there is hope that this pen pal service can bring on the conversation of trans prisoner rights.

“Today is not the only time we should talk about this,” bautista said.

@mcappy13

ml540312@ohio.edu