Ohio University guard Mike Laster poses for a portrait in The Convo.

Laster: Sophomore guard provides spark off Ohio bench

Sophomore guard Mike Laster's role has decreased in his second season, but he has brought toughness for Ohio. 

Coach Saul Phillips has repeatedly said that sophomore guard Mike Laster is “Detroit tough."

That characteristic comes from Laster's patience and maturity, which he may have garnered from growing up in Detroit and playing for Cass Technical High School. 

Though that doesn't mean Laster isn't physically tough. He is 6-foot-4, 195 pounds — lanky and wiry on the court to go along with his quick on-ball defense.

“He’s just a very professional young man in his approach to life,” Phillips said. “As a coach, you want everybody on your team to succeed. With him, there might even be a little extra of that from the standpoint that he does things the right way.”  

After starting 17 games for the Bobcats in 2015, Laster has yet to make the starting lineup for Ohio this year. This season, he has averaged two points in 10 minutes per game off the bench.

Still, Laster hasn’t “once pouted” about his decreased role, Phillips said.

“I enjoy coming off the bench, because I know it can be a good spark for my team,” Laster said. “I know I can immediately make an impact.”

Despite only seeing the court sparingly, Laster's defense brings opponents to a halt.

Phillips has said Laster, Jordan Dartis and Khari Harley are some of his better defenders, thanks in part to their length and footwork.

Laster’s length specifically showed against Western Michigan on Jan. 19 when he helped lead the Bobcats to one of their best defensive performances all season. He played 18 minutes off the bench and scored seven points.

More importantly, Laster guarded the Mid-American Conference’s second-best scorer, Thomas Wilder.

Laster’s defensive intensity forced Wilder — who averages 18 points per game — to take contested mid-range pull-up shots and consistently bothered the Bronco guard on the perimeter. Wilder finished with just two buckets while Laster guarded him.

“It’s great to see Mike get a game like this because Mike started last year," Ohio guard Jaaron Simmons said after the win. "We could see his confidence being a little down. He plays great in practice from time to time, but Mike’s a guy who doesn’t talk much. He’s not going to complain.”

Off the court, though, Laster is low-maintenance and relatively quiet.

Junior forward and friend Antonio Campbell said Laster enjoys playing video games — Laster listed Grand Theft Auto and NBA 2K as two of his favorites — studies pre-engineering and hangs out with his girlfriend while not playing basketball.

“(Laster) is a great guy ... in the books a lot,” Campbell said. “He’s pretty much always in his room.”

Laster’s quiet demeanor at home and “toughness” on the court are linked.

He said earlier in the year he didn’t own a laptop, instead doing school work at the library all while staying “on top of his grades.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="5d425036-d527-11e5-a09f-efadd59b7fee"}}

During games, Laster is intelligent with the ball too, only taking 47 shots over the course of Ohio’s 25 games.

But most of all, Laster’s tranquil persona has left its mark on the Bobcats. Ohio has improved by seven wins since winning just 10 games a year ago.

That's what it means to be Detroit tough: determined and passionate, even while not seeing a lot of time on the court. 

“You have certain kids in your program that you just see successful in life when they are done," Phillips said. "When he finds his niche, when he finds his way, he’s going to be a very good employee for someone. Or a very good boss. Just the way he is.”

- Nick Kairys contributed to this report.

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@Ohio.edu