Junior Grant Johnson leads Section 8 in a performance of "Let's Get It On" at the Baker University Center Acoustic Cafe. 

New Chords on the Block and Section 8 represented OU at ICCA quarterfinals

A cappella groups New Chords on the Block and Section 8 traveled to St. Louis, Missouri, to compete in the ICCA quarterfinals.

The Midwest Quarterfinals of the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella in St. Louis, Missouri, were aca-amazing — at least according to Section 8 and New Chords on the Block, the two Ohio University a cappella groups that traveled to compete at the competition on Feb. 20.

It was Section 8’s first year competing and the second for New Chords on the Block.

“Last year we really didn’t know what to expect,” Teddy Thieken, a member of New Chords on the Block and a senior studying middle childhood education, said. “This year we started practicing and preparing much sooner.”

Despite having no previous experience with the ICCAs, Section 8 placed third, and member Jeffrey Billingslea, a junior studying political science, received the award for outstanding solo.

“It was a lot of work, but we’re definitely enjoying the payoff,” Cody Pomeroy, a member of Section 8 and a freshman studying integrated media, said. “We were a little hesitant (to go), but we knew it would be exciting and a great way to get our name out.”

The ICCAs, perhaps made famous by Pitch Perfect, is structured in stages. There are five regional quarterfinals in which the first and second place teams from each compete in two semifinals. The top two teams then go on to a final round.

“To go to a quarterfinal you have to submit a video,” Grant Johnson, a member of Section 8 and a senior studying vocal music and recording industry, said. “Our video application included ‘Hello’ by Adele, ‘Let’s Get it On’ by Marvin Gaye, ‘Work Song’ by Hozier and ‘Africa’ by Toto.”

Johnson added that for the group’s performance in St. Louis, Section 8 switched out "Africa" for “If I Ever Fall in Love” by Shai.

“We went out there to be true to ourselves and have fun. I think it turned out great,” Johnson said.

New Chords on the Block’s quarterfinal performance included “Settle Down” by Kimbra, “Back to Black” by Amy Winehouse, and “Brother” by NEEDTOBREATHE, Thieken said.

Pomeroy said Section 8 had been practicing for the ICCAs since the beginning of the semester, and the group steadily devoted more time to the routines as the date of the performance drew closer.

“We were just trying to keep everything fresh in our minds,” he said.

Though Pomeroy admitted that the choreography was the most difficult part because of the lack of experience, he said they were really proud of what they accomplished.

Eight other groups competed, but the teams were far from tense, according to both Johnson and Thieken.

“Even though we were against each other, it’s still a concert,” Johnson said. “It was great to watch other, more experienced teams get up on stage.”

Pomeroy described the atmosphere in St. Louis as “friendly but competitive.”

Both singers said the trip was a great experience, one that they hope to repeat next year.

“I won’t be here,” Johnson said, “But the team really seemed to like it so I think that’s definitely a discussion that we’re going to have.”

Thieken described the overall experience as “exhilarating.”  

“It’s exciting to know that we’re all there for the same reason — because we love a cappella,” Thieken said.

@M_LCapitano

ml540312@ohio.edu