Ohio forward Antonio Campbell dunks against Western Michigan guard Taylor Perry in The Convo on Jan. 19. Ohio won 82-64. 

Men's Basketball: Antonio Campbell named AP All-American Honorable Mention

Ohio's Antonio Campbell became the fifth player in program history to earn All-American honors in program history. 

Ohio forward Antonio Campbell was named an Associated Press All-American Honorable Mention, the AP announced this week. 

Campbell is the fifth player in program history to receive All-American recognition. He was the only Mid-American Conference player to be mentioned in this year's release.

The Bobcat forward was one of 40 honorable mentions on the list. The voting for AP All-American teams was held before this year's NCAA Tournament. 

Campbell joins the ranks of D.J. Cooper (2013), Gary Trent (1995), Walter Luckett (1975) and Frank Baumholtz (1941) to earn All-American honors. 

"It's extremely humbling to see my name alongside the best players in college basketball," Campbell said in a news release. "It's exciting to see your hard work play off."

Campbell averaged 17 points and 10 rebounds in 35 games for Ohio. The Cincinnati native also earned MAC Player of the Year earlier in March after posting 19 points, 11 rebounds and a block during conference play. 

Campbell averaged 57 percent shooting from the field and and 44 percent shooting from beyond the arc during MAC play. His play on the court propelled the Bobcats to a 23-12 record, a 13-win improvement from Saul Phillips' inaugural season in 2014-2015 (10-20). 

Campbell's tally of 598 points this year is the eighth-most in a single season in Bobcat history. 

"None of these awards would be possible without my teammates alongside me," Campbell said in the release. "We have laid a foundation for even bigger things next year."

Campbell, Cooper and Trent are the only Ohio players to ever earn AP All-American Honorable Mention honors.

Baumholtz remains the only Ohio men's basketball player to ever earn All-American First Team honors.  

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="5a6a001c-e55c-11e5-9cbd-b7b92c77bea3"}}

This year, Campbell also earned First Team honors in the National Association of Basketball Coaches Division I All-District 14 for his play on the court. Ohio guard Jaaron Simmons earned Second Team honors. 

Campbell became the first player since Nick Kellogg in 2014 to earn NABC First Team honors. He was also an All-MAC First Team Selection. 

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@Ohio.edu