Women's Studies students stand in front of Scott Quad with a copy of the Women's Studies newsletter, The Awakening in 1985. 

Push for Women’s Studies program began over three decades ago

After 35 years of growth, the Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Department now offers over 70 classes.

In 1979, Gladys Batchelor, who worked as an assistant to the director executive of the Master of Business Administration program at Ohio University, wrote a 39-page report titled “A research report to support the need for a women’s studies program at Ohio University.”

The report laid the groundwork for the formation of OU’s first Women’s Studies class, as well as the certificate program available for students today.

The report gave an overview of the definition of Women’s Studies followed by how it had grown nationally throughout the 1970s. She then gave several facts presented at the National IWY Conference in 1977 about discrimination against women, particularly in education and employment.

“Progress must be made in this area, not only for the sake of fairness to women but also for the sake of improvement in the quality of our public life,” Batchelor said in the report. “Sex-based discrimination is a pattern for which everyone pays a high social price.”

It seems Batchelor’s report was found to be convincing because in 1980 OU offered its first Women’s Studies course and certificate program.

With the celebration of March as Women’s History Month, the Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Department at OU has come a long way with its own history in providing classes that expand thinking in gender-based subject matter.

In the report, Batchelor made her case for a Women’s Studies program through extensive research and interviewing. The report cites interviews from the directors of Women’s Studies programs at universities throughout the Midwest, including the University of Michigan, Ohio State University and the University of Cincinnati.

Cornell University became the first university to offer a class in Women’s Studies in 1969. After that, Women’s Studies programs began forming on college campuses throughout the country, including OU. Students and faculty at schools without such programs began to push for their development.

Batchelor’s report continued by giving a list of suggested curriculum for a Women’s Studies program, including subjects such as English, history, philosophy, political science, psychology and sociology. It also gave examples of potential careers for people with Women’s Studies degrees, in fields such as law, medicine and business.

“Women’s Studies is a necessary part of the college curriculum because universities have an obligation to develop the full potential of their students and to educate them for their future roles in the real world,” the report said.

Nancy Bain, an associate professor of geography at the time, helped to lead the way by developing the curriculum and teaching the first Women’s Studies class. She was asked by the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences to complete the plans in two years. She finished them in one year.

“There were some people who would (ask), ‘Why are you doing this?’” Bain, now a retired OU professor, said. “It was an idea, and the time had come for it to be widespread.”

Bain said that at the time of the program's development, the university was struggling financially due to low enrollment. In spite of these struggles, funding was still given for the formation of the new program.

“I think the institution has benefitted from it,” Bain said. “We are part of a movement toward diversity. It’s something that had to happen.”

In 2006, OU students finally had the opportunity to receive a Bachelor’s Degree in Women’s Studies. In 2014, the program changed its name to the broader title of Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies.

Kirsten Cupach, a junior studying journalism, decided to minor in Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies after she was inspired by her mother, along with an editor she worked with at Speakeasy Magazine.

“It was kind of a no-brainer when I picked what to study,” Cupach said.

She said every student should have to take at least one Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies class.

“I think that it changes the way you think in a lot of ways,” Cupach said. “You learn things that you never would be able to conjure up in your own mind.”

Dave Byler, a senior studying business, is taking an online Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies class on “Women, Gender, and Rock and Roll.” Although he wishes he could take the class in person, it has given him a new perspective on women’s struggles, particularly in the music industry Byler said.

“I’ve learned a lot about the dark side of music industries,” he said. “It focuses on female struggles … with coming up through the industry, especially in the ’50s and ’60s. It’s really kind of a different take on music than I’m used to.”

Byler said he has found the class to be enjoyable and thinks everyone should have to take a class in the Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Department.

“This class has been pretty engaging to me. I feel like I’ve learned something that isn’t just common sense,” he said. “I think it’s a really good thing to offer … and I think everybody should have to take a class like that.”

When Bain taught the first Women’s Studies class in 1980, she taught only about 35 students. Now, the program offers more than 70 courses taught by over 70 faculty members from 17 different departments.

Kay-Anne Darlington, an adjunct professor who teaches “Introduction to Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies,” said the impact of the program reaches beyond women’s issues and teaches students to think critically about issues affecting society today.

“It’s helping students who are leaving college gain a bit of understanding about the experiences of others, and how what they do can impact others,” she said. “I think it’s a good requirement because it opens students’ minds to the idea that there are structural issues that affect people."

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="afdc4f0e-ec7e-11e5-a33d-2f6b9e5b351e"}}

Bain said she is excited to see how the program has changed and grown since its first years.

“I think the more progressive we are, the more likely we are to make an impact,” she said. “I’m happy to see growth and development.”

@alleeexxiiss

ae595714@ohio.edu