Basketball player Lauren Hill gives the thumbs up during a game.

Sports Column: A year after her untimely death, Lauren Hill still leaves impact on college athletes

It has been a year since the death of Lauren Hill, but her legacy still lives on.

One girl with one dream had the power to bring the world to tears in only 47 seconds.

Lauren Hill, a former resident of Greendale, Indiana, committed to Mount St. Joseph University in Cincinnati, less than two months prior to being diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, or the medical term, diffuse intrinsic pontine giloma. It was Hill’s dream to play basketball at the collegiate level and Mount St. Joseph made that dream come true.

Hill played only 47 seconds during the Lion's first game of the 2014 season, scoring the first and last points of the game, as the Cintas Center erupted into applause. 

"I never thought I would play on a college court, put my feet on the floor and feel the vibration of the crowd," Hill told ESPN after the game.

Because of her inoperable brain tumor, Hill died on April 10, 2015, devastating the masses she impacted with her courage and heroism. Hill was 19.

Before she passed, Hill raised over $1.5 million dollars for The Cure Starts Now, an organization that is researching a cure for multiple types of cancer. People continue to donate to the organization in Hill’s name.

It's amazing the power that one college athlete had on a community and nation. Hill inspired the masses and, despite what she was personally going through, dedicated the last few months of her life giving a voice to those suffering from cancer.

Hill's life was, and still remains, a legacy. She positively impacted lives not only across the country, but internationally as well. After her untimely death, multiple teams across the United States participated in the “Layup for Lauren Challenge”, including Xavier and Kentucky men's basketball teams, held events to raise money in her name.

Everyone can learn a valuable lesson from Hill’s leadership. The Bobcats can too.

Ohio has many outstanding athletes that bring overwhelming pride to the term “Bobcat family.”

Although, Hill’s life and collegiate basketball career were cut many years too short, Ohio students and athletes alike can learn a valuable lesson from the message that Hill preached: Don’t take the moments you have for granted.

Over the course of this academic year, the Bobcats has had many memorable moments in the realm of sports.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="83921814-fb35-11e5-9573-ff967c98bbad"}}

Moments including: Michael Harris signing to play hockey for Dayton Demolition post graduation, Kiyanna Black leading the Bobcats to the Women's National Invitational Tournament Sweet Sixteen, Antonio Campbell being named AP All-American Honorable Mention and many more special moments.

The Bobcats have taken many opportunities this year to live their lives, whether on the field, court, ice or track, to the fullest — and they should continue to do so in the future. 

@thebestjess_21

jj940914@ohio.edu