Twitter

Technobabble: The 10 worst tweet brand fails on Twitter

Here are the top ten most recent Twitter fails by brands and news companies.

Twitter branding and marketing has become companies’ and news publications’ major source of reaching a diverse range of users — but it comes at a price. Social media managers often forget to double-check tweets before scheduling because they’re overworked or exhausted, which leads to embarrassing errors and campaign mess-ups.

Simple strategies like correcting easy copy mistakes, monitoring world news that may conflict with a brand, and having a second opinion on punny and clever tweets are essentials to good social media marketing.

Here are the top ten most recent tweet brand fails on Twitter made by social media managers, who now probably regret that screenshoting exists. Deleting the tweet doesn’t erase it forever.

1. Epicurious’ insensitivity after the Boston Bombing

Just days after the Boston Marathon bombing, recipe company Epicurious decided to promote their freshly baked scones and cereals after a domestic terrorist attack. The company later apologized after an intense outrage on Twitter.

2. US Airways Vagina Plane

One of the most memorable brand tweets of all time is won by US Airways, who accidentally tweeted out an incredibly graphic picture involving a toy airplane while responding to customer complaints on Twitter. The photo, which originated from a German porn site, was copied and pasted by a social media manager when they tried to flag the photo as inappropriate content.

3. EPA trying to win the Kim Kardashian app

What happens when you accidentally link your Kim Kardashian app to the wrong Twitter account? You tweet that you’re a C-List celebrity. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Water account was inadvertently linked to a social media managers Kim Kardashian app, causing the app to send an automated tweet out with their score.

4. Boston Globe forgotten link

A very recent Twitter scheduling mistake was performed by The Boston Globe in March 2016, when they forgot to add an article URL to a Twitter headline. It caused followers to think an angsty millennial tweeted from The Boston Globe’s account on accident, but in reality it was just a really interesting trend piece article missing a link. 

5. Not-so-clever tweets by a sexist State Department social manager

Also a recent Twitter flub, the State Department Travel division decided to tweet out spring break tips, which were actually common sense to any frequent traveler. In the horrible Twitter marketing campaign, the tips quickly became sexist, insinuating rating people, which caused immediate backlash by users.

Want to have our daily newsletter waiting in your inbox when you wake up? Sign up for Post Haste here

6. Lulu Lemon messes with Beyonce

Beyonce’s recent release of her athleisure clothing line with TopShop caused some jealousy by famous athletica clothing brand, Lulu Lemon. In short — don’t mess with the Bey or her Beyhive.

7. AIDS in Africa IAC

In December 2013, director of corporate of communications of IAC, Justine Sacco, tweeted some insensitive jokes while on the plane before departing for a trip to South Africa. After her plane landed, her phone was flooded with messages and texts from friends, colleagues and her boss, who was letting her know she would no longer be working for IAC due to her racist and atrocious tweet comedy hour.

8. Home Depot racist tweet

An outside Twitter agency tweeted out a racist and offensive picture on Home Depot’s main twitter account to promote College Game Day. Minutes later the tweet was removed and representatives from the company apologized.

9. Washington Post auto-scheduled Paris Attacks tweet

Social media schedulers are a blessing to social media managers 'round the world, but can become disastrous when breaking news happens. Following the Paris Attacks, The Washington Post regretted unscheduling a tweet about fearing Friday the 13th (the day of the Paris Attacks).

10. DiGiorno Pizza

Check your hashtags before you tweet, social managers. DiGiorno Pizza didn’t. A campaign that was originally bringing to light domestic violence in relationships was ruined by a careless mistake. The tweet was deleted within minutes, but the Internet never sleeps (and never stops screenshotting) and DiGiorno instantly received backlash.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2a247548-f45e-11e5-8b6e-734ce76dc2b9"}}