Post Haste: Gene Wilder died Monday; OU's freshman class isn't the biggest ever, but is pretty big

Here’s what you need to know for Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2016:

News

• OU's Board of Trustees is hosting an open forum tonight to discuss the university's future president. (The Post)
  • OU’s class of 2020 is the third-largest class in history at 4,332 students. (The Post)

Good morning,

Gene Wilder, perhaps best known for his role in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, died yesterday at age 83 due to complications from Alzheimer's disease, according to The New York Times.

For those born before the release of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in 2005, Wilder will likely always be their Willy Wonka.

The comedic actor also starred in the classic Young Frankenstein and appeared in many more cinematic greats (Blazing Saddles, Bonnie and Clyde and The Producers, just to name a few).

Even if you aren’t a movie fan, Wilder’s impact is difficult to go unnoticed as his face is strewn across the internet in a classic meme, known by some as condescending Wonka.

Wilder was indeed a “golden ticket.”

Athens Weather

Temps get out of the 90s, but not by much, with a high of 88 and mostly sunny skies. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

Scores and Game Times

Nothing to report, but the soccer team is looking pretty good this year. (The Post)

You might also want to know...

California lawmakers passed a bill inspired by the Stanford rape case. (Reuters)

Former New York Congressman Anthony Weiner got caught sexting ... again. (NJ.com)

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu