Hannah Schroeder, poses for a portrait with her septum ring in on September 11, 2016. Septum piercings and other facial piercings are becoming more popular and accepted in society. (BRAEDEN MCCLAIN | PHOTO ILLUSTRATION)

Rising popularity of facial piercings could mean more acceptance in the workplace

For some students, facial piercings could mean the the difference between a “yes” or a “no” on a job application.

Facial piercings have become a popular form of self expression for college students in recent years. Their likeliness to be accepted in the workplace is questionable, though.

Nick Abraham, a sophomore studying marketing, likes having his gages and septum piercing, but knows that the holes piercings create might be permanent.

“By the vast majority they’re considered unprofessional,” he said. “I do think there's a time where I’m going to take them all out, but right now that’s not a big issue.”

There are some workplaces where piercings are not looked down upon, though. “Places like Chipotle . . . are trying to make waves with that,” Abraham said. “I feel like they have their place in the workplace.”

Businesses that focus on a more alternative, younger clientele could be more accepting of piercings in the workplace, Hans Meyer, an associate professor of journalism, said.

“I remember when I was out of college interviewing for jobs, I went in a suit and tie to a health magazine and I was so out of place,” Meyer said. “You just have to know the environment you’re going into.”

Kacey Dickey, a sophomore studying sociology and criminology, believes that society is ever-changing, which results in more acceptance of body modifications.

“You see doctors and nurses with tattoos and piercings,” Dickey said. “It's more accepted in the world now.”

Meyer believes students should know the culture of the business they are going to interview at, because workplaces can differ.

“A simple nose ring doesn’t bother me, but a septum is a bit much,” Meyer said. “Then if there’s a lot of (piercings), that doesn’t seem very professional to me.”

Abraham doesn’t think his piercings should be considered unprofessional, but admits he would take out his piercings for a job interview.

“I would definitely hide that,” he said. “I would take out my gages, but it’s a little bit harder with (my septum).”

Dickey said she would probably take out most of her thirteen piercings while interviewing for a job, but she would keep some in.

“I definitely see more (piercings),” Meyer said. “Even some high profile CEOs and leaders have them.”

Dickey and Abraham both said that having facial piercings come along with a stigma.

“I see people look at me differently,” Dickey said.

Abraham said people believes he is a tough, combative person before getting to know him.

“It sucks because people have a preconceived notion before they talk to me or other people with piercings,” Abraham said.

Abraham and Dickey both enjoy having their piercings and don’t regret their choice to have them.

“I’ve always wanted them since I was young,” Abraham said. “No regrets — absolutely not.”

Dickey said that she thinks piercings are “pretty” and she always has the option of taking them out.

“They’re a cool way to temporarily show yourself,” Dickey said. “They’re a nice form of self expression. They’re still fun.”

@lynanneclaire

lv586814@ohio.edu