Petru, a food truck that specializes in handmade chocolates, sits on Union Street by College Green.

Uptown Eats: Athens is a hotbed for food trucks

Meals from a thing on wheels is the hippest way to get a quick bite to eat and keep on movin’. Food trucks provide easy access and fun and innovative foods right to the curbside — like going to a drive-thru, but better.

The phenomenon, once seen as vile, is becoming a commonality across the country, and Athens is no exception. So-called roach coaches are now selling some of the best cuisine through a window on the side of Athens' bricked streets.

Recently, Athens has seen an influx of food trucks lining Union Street by College Gate. What once served as the resting area for famed Burrito Buggy and Ali Baba’s has quickly become a hotbed of mobile eateries on a daily basis.

Some recent additions bringing variety to the bricks of Athens include:

• Petru, a truck dishing out chocolate
  • Hot Potato, a baked potato truck
  • OMG! Rotisserie, a soul food truck which also has a brick-and-mortar location on Columbus Road
  • The Hungry Cat, a university-owned truck parked on campus

There’s also supposedly a taco truck that roams around the outskirts of Athens called Holy Guacamole and a specialty hot dog cart called Atheenie Weenie that has parked on Union Street in the past, but is out of commission for a while, according to Facebook.

A “comfort food” cart called Not Guilty has parked uptown before also, though it doesn’t seem to have been there recently, and its social media profiles have been quiet for quite some time.

So watch out, brick-and-mortar restaurants — it seems the future of the culinary world is literally rolling through Athens.